12

"We have arrived

"We have arrived."

The dragon, who is still unnamed, stares at the building before us. It looks abandoned. There are cars littered around with fire damage and melted tires. A single human skeleton pokes out from the snow, and there is enough silence to make a cemetery seem like a party.

If not for the lights that emit from the fifth floor of the building, I would have thought that all hope was lost. Daisy must be upstairs.

A sense of fulfilment relaxes my shoulders. It feels like my mother's embrace. I made it. I'm so proud of myself for hauling ass and keeping my unspoken promise to my sister. I found her!

"As you assured, you will follow me willingly after you find this sister of yours?"

Of course I won't fucking follow him willingly. I need to get Daisy away from him and all the death that trails after him.

"Yes." I lie through my teeth. I'll keep lying until my teeth are rotten and fall out if that's what it takes to get Daisy through this. She is my last ounce of humanity. I must protect her.

As soon as I find her, I'm going to escape the dragon.

"Do not waste energy lying to me. Your plans won't get you far."

It sounds like a warning, not an accusation. He's going to keep a close eye on me. I have a small window to escape, but it's now or never. Since he can't fly due to his injury, this is a tremendous advantage.

"I will lead and clear the rooms. You must stay fifteen feet away from me at all times. Do you understand?" he asks sternly.

This, I have no problems with. I don't know what we're walking into. He's the only one qualified to dive into the building.

"Let's do this," I answer.

He moves to the entrance. The inside is as askew as the outside, with water damage everywhere.

We take the stairs, glancing at every shadow in the place. There are no voices, but I know someone is here, or at least left recently. That's the only explanation for the lights.

I'm panting by the time we reach the fifth floor, and the scratches at my side burn as if re-opened.

This floor is far more organized and metallic. It was once a laboratory.

The dragon checks every corner, eventually leading me to a room with huge vaults installed into the wall, like at a bank. There are long tables with computers and random equipment.

A man stands in there with his back to us. I can tell he's older by his balding. He wears a torn lab coat and goggles.

The dragon signals me to stay by the wall and enters the room. "Who are you?" he calls for the man.

The man turns. "I could ask the same of you. I am Dr. Harris. What are you doing at the FEMA headquarters?"

"I'm looking for a female," the dragon replies. "By the name of Daisy. You will tell me if you have seen her."