9✰

The Next Day, Wednesday

Monica was currently locking up the door to her house, about to make way to Emmanuel's Car. She woke up with a headache, and could barely get any sleep last night because of her sinuses. The pollen around this time of year was bad, and Monica couldn't stand it.

She walked to the car, seeing Emmanuel hold the door open for her since she had all her belongings in her hand.

"Thank you, good morning." She said smiling at him.

"Good morning Monica." He said. She got inside and sat her stuff down, and he closed the door making his way back to the drivers seat. She smelled coffee and looked down seeing coffee from Dutch Bros.

"I got you a coffee before I came." He said gesturing to the coffee in the cup holder. Holding back a smile, Monica curled up her lips.

"Really?? For me?" She said grabbing it. He nodded his head yes smirking a little, trying to contain a smile. "Well thank you. You can actually be so nice sometimes." Monica said sipping her coffee making him furrow his brows.

"What do you mean sometimes?" He asked glancing  over at her.

"You can just be...standoffish. Sometimes you'll speak and be nice to me, sometimes you won't." She shrugged. She was slowly starting to get comfortable with him, and she could tell he was too...in a way.

"That's not true." He said shaking his head making Monica's mouth drop.

"Oh it most definitely is. Let's not act like you'll walk right past me at church." Monica said taking another sip of her coffee.

"I don't recall." Emmanuel said being dead serious. Monica couldn't believe it and although she felt like she had no reason to be upset, she genuinely was. Deciding not to speak for the rest of the ride because she didn't wanna get riled up, she pulled out her phone texting Kayla.

Emmanuel could tell something the energy within her shifted, and decided to just leave her be.

Monica kept to herself the whole ride, and once they arrived she gathered all her things. Not wanting his help, she stopped him before he could open his door to get out and open her door.

"I got it. I don't need your help. Thanks for the ride." She said opening the door and getting out.

On her way in, she dropped her ID and didn't even notice. Emmanuel rolled his eyes and got out the car to grab it. He walked to the front, and opened the door seeing the same coworkers from yesterday standing in the front. They all looked over at Monica and she turned around being surprised to see Emmanuel's face. He held up her ID, and she pursed her lips together.

"Your ID fell." He told her. She grabbed it from him.

"Thank you." She said turning around and walking off. He went back to his car and left.

Monica's coworkers went in her office again bombarding her with questions but she shut it down.

"You guys I am not doing this again today." She said laughing. "Also I am sorry for yesterday, I was just not in the best mood. I sincerely apologize." She said smiling at the three of them.

"Girl it's all good we figured." Pam said shrugging while the other two girls agreed with her.

Monica started to do her work, which wasn't much for the day. After she finished, she pulled out her personal computer and checked her email.

Congratulations Monica,

We would love to offer you a position as a nurse at St Paul's Pediatrics Hospital!

We understand that you are still in school and training, but we would love to offer on the job training before you get your license, part time, and you can transition into full time after you receive your license.

Please call xxx-xxx-xxxx to schedule a meeting to further go into detail.

Congratulations again!

Monica froze and started silently cheering. She had been waiting for months to hear back from this hospital, and she finally did. As a child, she went to that hospital and always told herself she would go and be just like the nurses that would take care of her. Now here she is, her dream coming true.

"Thank you God." She said as tears started to pour down her face. She immediately called the hospital and they talked about everything from her schedule, to her pay, and more. They weren't in a rush for her to start, so she decided to give it about a month or two, until she gets her car back. Luckily it would only be a part time job, so she would be working everyday but only for 4 hours, and still get paid as if she was working full time.

The end of the day came, and Monica hadn't told anyone about her offer yet, especially at her job. She wasn't ready to tell them and just wanted to keep it between friends and family. She was so happy she didn't even remember what had happened this morning with Emmanuel. She clocked out and walked outside all happily, and saw Emmanuel standing at the passengers side holding the door open.

"Thank you!" She chirped getting inside the car and putting her things down, earning a confused look from Emmanuel.

She was pissed with him earlier, now all of a sudden she's cheery? He thought it was weird. He closed the door and walked around to the drivers side and pulled off.

"Why are you so happy?" He asked looking over at her.

"Wasn't planning on telling anyone but my close friends and family, but I got a job offer that I've been waiting for, for months. I start in about 2 months." She said excitedly. Emmanuel smiled a little, it made him happy to see her happy.

"Oh that's what's up. Congratulations Monica." He told her.

"Thank you." She said texting her mom and sister the news.

"By the way, I apologize for earlier. Some days I just have my moments without realizing, and I can be kind of distant, and sometimes even rude. I try to avoid people, because I don't want to be rude." Emmanuel said. Monica looked over him and smiled.

"It's okay I understand. What's going on? Is everything okay?" She asked.

"It's not for you to worry about. But thank you." He said sighing. Monica silently nodded her head and hair decided to be quiet the rest of the way, not having much to say.

"Did you eat today?" He asked pulling up to her house.

"Yes I did." She said pulling money out of her purse. "Here's money for gas." She said trying to hand him the money but he wouldn't take it.

"Nah it's cool, keep it." He said shrugging. She kept trying to put the money in his hand but he wouldn't take it. Sighing with frustration, she opened the middle compartment and put the money in there, hurriedly grabbing her stuff, getting out the car before he could give it back to her.

"Really Monica?" He called out to her after letting his window down.

"Had to get you to keep it someway. Thanks for the ride!" She said unlocking the door to her house.

To be continued...

Please excuse any mistakes (: sorry for the late update, I've been busy with school!