AuStOrA bEfOrE aUsToRa

This is the story that was Austora before Austora and kinda started my royalcore writing stage. It was written a long time before Austora so the writing style might not be the same as my style today but hope you enjoy anyway XD (Also, there is only a chapter and a little bit of chapter 2 here so sorry if it sorta ends apprubtly. I had a lot more planned to this and just never finished any of my ideas for it XD) Anyway, have at it!

~:∆: Chapter One :∆:~

There were woods at the back of Alorian Palace. They were small, but the way the sunset reflected off the tops of the tall, thin trees made all the nervous energy inside my chest settle. The leaves that scattered the floor of the woods were bright and beautiful, but the sunsets were the only thing that seemed to ease the tension that always ebbed and flowed throughout my body.

While I had a lot of time on my hands, I rarely found a good moment to just sit in the West Courtyard and watch as the tips of the trees caught fire in a dusky blaze. It was like watching the end of an era turning into a new one. The end of the day turning to night.

And it wasn't just my eyes that beheld the beauty of the autumn sunsets. The skin across my nose and cheeks tingled as the warmth spread from one side of my face to the other, highlighting my freckles and making me feel like that one annoying flaw of myself was somehow made a virtue in the glow of the rich golden light. My ears took in every flutter of the wind, every beat of a sparrow's wings, every rustle as animals took cover for the cool night to come. I inhaled, smelling the warmth of fall, the crisp earthy essence of the changing leaves and the cooling northern winds.

Everything about the perfect autumn season was magnified at dusk.

"What are you dreaming about this time?" a soft sweet voice cut into my thoughts.

I jumped, snapping my head over to see where it had come from. I sighed, realizing it was just Sassha. I had been so caught up in the gorgeous evening that I had completely forgotten that she was there.

"Just thinking about how peaceful everything is," I answered serenely, trying to act like I hadn't nearly fallen off of the stone bench we were sharing from fright.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Sassha's wide, bright grin.

I felt the corner of my lip twitch, but I didn't let myself give into the temptation of a smile.

"It definitely beats being inside with all the craziness that's going on."

I nodded. That was for sure. Every time the Palace hosted one of its extravagant parties, it was always best to stay out of the way of all the movers and servants, preparing the food and cleaning every inch of the castle, even the parts that no guest would ever see.

And this party wasn't just a normal party, which made them even finickier with their work. This was Reyn's eighteenth birthday party. It had to be perfect.

"Do you think you will want a giant party when you turn eighteen?" I mused, glancing over at Sassha.

She quirked her head, pursing her lips in contemplation, making her perfectly curled and plaited bright blond hair fall over her shoulder. "I don't know. But I will most likely have no choice. Mother would have it no other way."

"I guess you're right," I mumbled, realizing what she meant. Queen Giavana always went all out for her precious daughters, even Sassha who wasn't the first born or heir to the throne. "But at least you won't have to worry about it for five more years."

"True, but once Reyn marries, who knows? Maybe Mother will go all out on all my birthdays... I hope not." She smiled over at me in amusement, the same jaw-dropping smile she had shared with her late father. King Brezker had always been my favorite out of the king and queen, though I would never admit that to my aunt. Giavana was kind when she wanted to be, but I would never want to be on the wrong side of her wrath.