Interlude - A God's Thoughts

(A/N: And we now take a brief break from Colton's perspective to consider the thoughts of a particular god. In particular, from the perspective of Ares on Kayla and Colton. Enjoy!)

Colton has and always has been one heck of an.. unusual blessing for me.

Look, I'm proud of all my kids.. Clarisse, Sherman, all of them.. but Colton.. I feel like that kid's been blessed far beyond even my comprehension.

Like.. there's always been something about him.. that just feels like he's destined for far greater things than even Percy Jackson. Ever since he was born, it's just felt that way. I don't know why.

Look, I might be the God Of War, but even as I sit here on my throne, having to listen to Zeus go on and on about those stupid ancient rules for the umpteenth time, I can tell you I am not an asshole to my kids.

That MG42 Travis gave Colton for his birthday.. that was my gift. I just felt like since Travis was in my son's doghouse, he needed to do something to look like a better person to my son. So I helped him out, with some assistance from Apollo and Hephaestus.

Speaking of Apollo, I'm going to switch gears and talk about my son's relationship with his daughter Kayla now.

Do I think those two deserve to be together? If it makes him happy, then I'm happy with it too. You see, I'm not like Hera, who is obsessed with "perfect family". If one of my daughters is lesbian and they find someone good for them, then I'm okay with it. If they break my kid's heart, then I'm mad.

Like, don't get me wrong, those two are a damn match made in what those Christians call heaven or something.. I don't know. Like they are just perfect.

If only my son can get over the hump of being so close to the truth yet not realizing it.. like IT'S SO OBVIOUS IN FRONT OF YOU, KID! What the hell are you doing?

My son may be a genius sometimes.. but he can also be an idiot, like right now. God, once again I wish those stupid ancient rules didn't god damn exist.

Oh, Zeus is calling on me. Gotta go.