Chapter 15

15

15

Harley and Dustin followed Lisa back into town. She guided them to a comely little house just outside the edge, only a few miles away from the training grounds. It was a house Harley had only seen from a distance as it was out in the field and surrounded by crops, but she never knew who lived there. She was amazed to learn that a witch had been living there for who knew how long without anyone ever noticing. She must have been very skilled at being discreet with her magic practices.

Lisa brought them inside and took their cloaks, hanging them beside the door as she said, "My husband should be here shortly. But we have time to discuss things before he gets here. Make yourselves at home. I will go check on the food in the oven." She left them in the dining room while she went into the kitchen. Dustin and Harley both seemed uncomfortable, as if they were expecting her to try something. They both waited awkwardly by the dining table.

"This could be a trap," Harley whispered. Dustin kept his eyes on the kitchen door as he replied quietly, "I know." Harley looked up at him, "Maybe I should go help her. You know, to make sure she doesn't poison anything."

"What good would that do when she has magic? We may never even see her casting a spell," Dustin reasoned with a shrug. Harley frowned knowing he was right. "What do you suggest then?" she asked with slight impatience. "Honestly... I don't know yet. Just...give me a minute to think," Dustin managed to say before Lisa emerged through the kitchen door. Both Harley and Dustin smiled at her presence, pretending that nothing happened. "Just a little longer," Lisa said as she swung a towel over her shoulder. As she made her way to the cabinet of dishes, Harley asked, "What are you cooking? It smells delicious."

"Roast. It's my husband's favorite. Tonight is our anniversary. We've been married for forty years," Lisa chirped. "Oh, congratulations to you both," Harley replied with a smile. Lisa smiled in return and started to set the table. She put the bowls on top of the table mats and carefully placed the silverware beside the bowls. Then she added glasses and removed the vase of flowers from the center of the table. "So," she began as she took the vase to the living area. Harley and Dustin followed her. "Finding a Faerie hunter isn't quite as difficult as most people may think," Lisa said. She sat down on the sofa with Harley and Dustin sitting on the small sofa across from her.

"How do we find one?" Dustin asked. He leaned forward with his elbows on his knees and his hands clasped together. Lisa looked at them seriously, "They have their own way of getting through the town without being seen. All you need to do is find that path and it will lead you straight to their guild. I always meet them at the very end of the path, but I never dare to go inside." Dustin slowly nodded, but it was Harley that spoke, "Where is this path?"

"It's in the middle of town, but underground," Lisa replied. She paused for a moment before she added, "But they won't allow you to enter. Only Faerie hunters are allowed inside their guild." Harley sighed and Dustin leaned back in his seat, his expression unreadable. "Then how do we get to one?" Harley inquired in his stead. Lisa tilted her head in thought for a moment. "I could bring one to you, but I doubt they would be willing to speak with an outsider. I'm the exception because I make them money by buying their ingredients for my potions and tonics."

"Actually," Dustin interjected. "I think they might want to speak with us." He stretched out his right arm and pulled up his sleeve. On the inside of his forearm was a tattoo of a strange symbol. The symbol of the Faerie hunters Harley assumed. So that was the mark he was talking about. Lisa blinked at him with surprise, "You're a hunter?" Dustin shook his head. "I come from a line of hunters, but I never passed the test." Her eyes softened at him as she smiled sadly, "I think that was a good thing. I don't exactly agree with the ways of the hunters. It's so...cruel." Harley looked at Lisa as she raised her brow. It seemed she was aware of what the children are forced to endure in order to become a hunter.

Lisa continued, "I may be able to convince one to meet with you, now that I know you are associated with the hunters. But I can't guarantee they will go along with it." Harley nodded and smiled, "It's worth a shot." Lisa then stood and clapped her hands together, "Would either of you like some tea?"

"No thank you," Harley and Dustin said in unison. "Very well. I will go prepare dinner. Wait right here," Lisa explained before she left the room for the kitchen. Once again they were left in awkward silence. Harley took that time to examine the living room. There was a dark wood coffee table standing in the middle of the room, with a bookshelf on one corner and a small side table in another. There was a fireplace with red embers gathered at the bottom. They must have had a fire recently. Then she noticed the pictures along the shelf above the hearth. She rose from the sofa and approached the pictures, examining each one. There were images of Lisa alongside a man that Harley knew all too well. Her eyes widened as she looked at the next picture. Lisa and the man were standing together with a young couple. And between the couple was a baby girl. And she knew every one of their faces.

The couple were her mother and father, the baby being herself. But the man that stood next to Lisa was Commander Gerald.

~

Surprise!!! I'm sorry this chapter is on the shorter end. And I was doing so well! TToTT

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!