Chapter 4

Roxanne

"I am not going to marry him." I shout uptenth times for my parents to listen and not just hear, to understand that what they want from me is absurd. 

How are they not concerned about sis? How can they accept all this so easily? He was my brother-in-law for the last 7 years and now suddenly they want me to see him as my husband? The thought alone is making me nauseous.

Since this morning they have been nagging me to accept this absurdity.

"You will." Dad shouts back. My eyes harden as I glare at him.

"How can you even say that? That man straight away denied marrying sis, the person whom he was dating for years, dad, for years. How do you believe that fickle person to be loyal to me after marriage?" I snap. I can't digest that they are even entertaining this thought.

"Just marry him, Roxanne." Sis replies.

My shoulder slumps as I look at my sis. Her face was indifferent. The girl who was crying her eyes out yesterday, is also trying to make up my mind for marriage.

"Why?" I asked, frustrated. Why is she forcing me to do this? It will be a nightmare for her to see her fiance turning into a brother-in-law. How would she digest to see her lover with her little sis.

She looks away as she says, "Because he will not back out. When he wants something he takes it by hook or by crook. Be grateful that he is at least asking to marry you." 

"But I am still young. I am just 19 and it's not an age for marriage." I cry out to my parents, wanting them to understand. My eyes on my parents wanting to convince them, "Besides, if I don't marry him, he won't force me. Right?" I asked, unsure to myself as I remembered yesterday.

How he had forced me and took my first kiss.

My eyes swivel towards sis, when I hear her groaning in irritation. 

"What I said right now, didn't reach your brain or what? That person will get anything if he wants. Get that inside your head." Sis snaps.

"So should I just give away my life cause that person gets whatever he wants?" I snap back. 

Just because he can get whatever he wants I should give in? I can't be someone's housewife, waiting for her husband to come and definitely I can't be my sister's lover’s wife.

"Yes." Sis grits out as she gets on her feet, startling me, "If you don't want to get your life destroyed along with ours then yes, you should gladly give your life away to him." With that she leaves dad's office. I fell on my seat.

I look up at dad, tired with all this. With glossy eyes I mutter, "I don't want to get married, dad." 

He signs and looks away. 

"You don't have a choice, darling." He informs me. That breaks my heart.

"What can he do, if I-I deny to marry him?" I ask, shuttering, dreading the answer.

"I can only say that he's very powerful, he can do anything, without getting in trouble and if his maternal family gets involved then we will be doomed." Dad informs me. He gets on his feet. Walking past his study table he stops before me. He caresses my cheeks as I close my eyes. "Just marry him. Hmm?"

Tears start falling through my closed eyes. Dad's warmth leaves me and after sometime I hear the door closing.

He left.

I open my eyes and look at my mother, who was silent the whole time. She also gets on her feet. I plead through my eyes.

"Just marry him, my princess. It will be good. Even your sister has agreed for you to marry him." With that she also leaves.