XXIX. And the nights are drawn out long

Start from the beginning

"hi... it's freezing out here, hoseok, take the coat," jungkook mumbled, holding the coat out for hoseok to take.

"ah, that's okay, i don't train with anything more than a hoodie. 'cause, you know, on the pitch it's not like we get to wear our coats and stuff," hoseok said, quickly as if he were rambling though his points were concise. jungkook smiled.

"one time won't hurt," the younger said in a small whisper as if the mere concept of hoseok being warm and not dying of hypothermia was scandalous. hoseok quickly nodded and took the coat. jungkook hadn't stopped smiling, "appa's really proud of you, you know?"

"hm?"

"my dad. he's been training you since college. he's proud of where you are right now, especially considering we're only 19."

"a-and you? where are you right now.." hoseok paused for a moment before panic set deep in his face, "no, like, what are you doing? i don't mean to be rude it sounded that way didn't it?? i'm so sorry."

jungkook laughed, not exactly used to seeing hoseok so flustered, "i got it, hyung." he sighed and looked at the frost on the grass underneath his feet, "yeah, i'm working on getting a teaching degree."

"really?" jungkook nodded, "wow—that's so cool! i—um... it's going good?" jungkook nodded again.

they were silent for a long moment. jungkook's ears felt like they were on fire, the freezing cold making them ache in such a way. hoseok was sure his nose was going to fall off but he was sure that he'd be fine with it if he could stay in that moment just any longer. with the first person he ever romantically loved. the person he never stops thinking about. one of three people he dedicated every practise, match and leisurely football game to.

"d-do you wanna go one-on-one?" hoseok stuttered nervously, scratching at the nape of his neck.

"yeah, i'd love to. go easy on me though, i haven't played in a long while." hoseok nodded immediately, quickly running to the gates to put down jungkook's coat and place his headphones into his bag.

"when was the last time you played?" hoseok asked as he jogged back to where jungkook stood in the middle of the pitch.

"last time was with you."

"oh." jungkook shrugged and smiled.

"it's alright. half pitch?" hoseok nodded.

"you can start with the ball."

jungkook nodded and quickly began dribbling the ball, confused and pleasantly surprised at how he got past hoseok and was nearing the goal. he continued running, focusing on nothing but his feet, the ball and the goal. that was, until, hoseok effortlessly got the ball off of him, ran a bit and scored.

"how'd you do that?! you were nowhere near me!" jungkook whined, though pleasantly impressed with hoseok's skill.

"i was actually really close to you, jungkook, you were looking down as you were dribbling," hoseok said, kicking the football up and keeping it in the air by hitting it up with his knee as he spoke. jungkook hummed, watching him.

"did i used to do that? when you were training me?"

hoseok moved the ball from his knee to his shoulder, alternating between the two, "at first you did. then you gained confidence, a lot of it and you stopped for the most part. i suppose because it's been a while and it's only natural to watch and know what's going on."