Chapter 19: Those walls are torn

ICHINOSE DAY 4

Deserted, utterly deserted. Not a single soul was left on the beach for us to even witness. The only evidence that we possibly had gotten that they were here was the bottles of drinks that they left behind.

"Weird," I muttered trying to take a better look at our surroundings. "I wonder where they could have gone to."

There was still no trace of them.

"Ayanokoji were you out on recon too?" Kanzaki asked.

"We were just out exploring the forest and we ended up here on the beach." He said simply.

I groaned crouching down on the ground as I placed my hands on my cheek in great defeat. "Uhh. I'm so disappointed. I was hoping to get an idea of who Class C's leader is."

"The goal here is to amass as many points as possible." Kanzaki gave us his little analysis crouching down with him. "The minute Ryuen abandoned that he lost out on everything." He stood back up

"The straightforward approach is the best for us," I replied.

"Ichinose, there's something I wanted to ask you."
Ayanokoji seemed a bit shy.

"What's that!" I answered always happy to talk.

"Well, Katsuragi from Class A. Do you know anything about him?"

Ayanokoji defiantly asked the question to the right person that's for sure.

I nodded my head. "Me and Katsuragi are both together in the student council. We work for Hatanaka." I continued my speech.

"I know that Sakayangai is sitting this test completely, so Katsuragi is taking control of Class A."

If I had to be honest I had gotten closer to Katsuragi. After all, you'd expect to be close to someone if you work with them every day. We had gained mutual respect for one another as a result.

"Katsuragi is an intelligent guy. Even with Sakayangi gone, I doubt Class A will suffer that much internal discourse."

"Although I doubt anyone from Sakayanagi's side is having a very good time. Those two are rivals after all." I added.

"I see." Ayanokoji nodded. "Thanks for keeping us company, we'll be leaving now."

I waved at them, "Anytime!"

Soon enough they left and now Kanzaki directed his look over at me, "You were waiting for them to leave weren't you?"

I tapped my cheek in innocence, "I wouldn't entirely say that." I sheepishly smiled. "It's just better that we have no distractions that's all." I examined the bottle.

"It's Ryuen, it doesn't make sense that they would all just leave." I sighed.

"You're right." Kanzaki declared, "So what's the truth here? Can we trust Kaneda?"

It wouldn't make sense for them to just leave the island altogether. Kaneda who was from their class remained in our area due to rebelling and disagreeing with Ryuen's ideas.

"We have to have some faith, or we're no better than them," I answered doing my best to give them the benefit of the doubt.

"It's hard to believe that Ryuen would just leave. He doesn't do that." Kanzaki added to the bubble of information that we were piling up. "Besides. . . We're forgetting another person."

I could feel my body tense up, knowing what Kanzaki was about to say.

"I know you hate me to say it, but what about Hatanaka? Is he not as much of a threat as Ryuen."