New Understandings

You and Bakugo walked in silence, the sterile smell of disinfectant permeated the air as you both made your way down the long, white hallway of the hospital. The fluorescent lights above you buzzed incessantly, casting a harsh and unforgiving glow on everything in your path.

The linoleum floor echoed with each step you took, a constant reminder of the bustling activity that surrounded you. You couldn't help but feel a sense of unease as you walked past the various rooms, each one filled with patients battling their own health struggles.

Some rooms were silent, the occupants seemingly lost in their own thoughts or perhaps sleeping. Others were filled with the sounds of beeping machines and hushed conversations between doctors and nurses.

The occasional cry of pain or moan of discomfort could be heard, a stark reminder that this was a place of healing but also of suffering.

Bakugo pushed the door open for himself, making you run to catch the door before it closed. 

"You ok?" You asked him as he pushed himself to walk in front of you.

You heard a scoff come from him, "What's with the question?"

"Well, you haven't talked since you got out of that room," you explained as you fastened your pace to walk beside him, he glared down at you.

"So I have to talk every damn second so you think I'm fine?" Bakugo rhetorically responded. The exit doors slid open, allowing a blast of icy air to rush in.

You shivered as you stepped out into the cold winter night, the chill whipping through the air and nipping at your exposed skin. The streetlights illuminated the snow-covered sidewalk, while the sound of car engines and honking horns filled your ears, a constant reminder of the bustling city that never stopped moving.

You pulled your coat tighter around your body, trying to shield yourself from the frigid air.

"My mom said she would pick us up from the front," you said as you walked onto the sidewalk. 

Bakugo nodded as he grabbed onto your arm, steadying you from a near fall.

"Thanks," you chuckled as Bakugo kept a firm hand on your arm, protecting you from the thin layer of ice that was slick against the sidewalk.

Once the two of you stopped walking, he let go of your arm.

You looked up at him in appreciation as he looked down at you in confusion.

"What?" He asked in a rude tone.

"You helped me," you stated.

"Would you rather fall? 'Cause I could help you with that," Bakugo spat at you as he looked down at you with a disgusted face.

"You don't like people appreciating your generosity?" You asked, looking around for a familiar car to pop up.

Bakugo made a disgusted noise to show how he felt, "Shut up, you're annoying me now."

You chuckled at Bakugo's comment as you hugged yourself, you searched for your mother's car but it was no where to be seen. The streetlights cast an eerie glow on the surroundings, illuminating the barren trees.

Despite the cold, the city was still alive with activity. People hurried past, bundled up in layers of thick clothing and scarves wrapped tightly around their faces.

Finally, after what felt like hours, you saw a familiar car pull up in front of the hospital. Your heart leaped with relief as you recognized your mom's old beat-up station wagon. But as it came closer, you noticed the car was swerving wildly and your mother honked the horn frantically.