Clean-up Crew

You and Bakugo had been waiting for a few hours. The bright, sterile lobby of the hospital, the scent of disinfectant immediately assaulted your senses when you first walked in, but now the smell had dissipated. 

The polished linoleum floors gleamed under the harsh fluorescent lights, reflecting the hustle and bustle of the busy hospital.

Bakugo threw himself onto the cushiony seat, in his hand a clipboard.

"Are you still not done with that thing?" You asked him as you flipped through magazines. 

Bakugo threw the clipboard to the side, "There's so much papers for what? Isn't this the damn emergency room?" 

"I guess a lot of people have emergencies," you said with a shrug. "Smell this," you told him, totally getting off topic.

"Get that fucking magazine out of my face." 

"Ok, ok," you engrossed yourself into the magazine, sniffing the sample perfumes. "Do you think if I rub this on myself it'll stay on?" You asked Bakugo, still flipping through pages of the magazine.

"You are more stupid than stupidity," Bakugo stated as he picked up the clipboard once again. 

"Hey, what time is it?" You asked Bakugo as he started to write on the papers.

"How am I supposed to know," Bakugo replied, now ignoring you.

So now you reluctantly put down the magazine and stood up ready to ask the lady at the counter.

You made your way through the sea of people, your footsteps echoing against the walls. The sound of beeping machines and hushed conversations filled the air, creating a sense of urgency and tension. Your heart raced as you approached the reception counter, not knowing how to politely ask your question. 

The receptionist, a middle-aged woman with kind eyes, greeted you with a warm smile. "How can I help you?" she asked, her voice gentle and soothing.

But her voice didn't make you feel any better, you tugged on the sleeves of your coat. "Um, yeah, you can," you chuckled with a small smile. "Um, do you know what time it is?" You looked down at your feet, then back at her.

She kept eye contact on you the whole time, it felt as if she was interrogating you. 

She chuckled and said, "I actually don't know, let me check." She then rolled her chair to the other side of the counter, searching for something.

You couldn't help but notice the bulletin board next to the counter, covered in flyers and posters promoting various health and wellness programs.

Your thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the receptionist's voice. "This phone is always disappearing on me," she joked. "But it's eight- thirty." 

Your mouth dropped as you heard the words come out of her mouth, "Eight-thirty?" You repeated with a bit of worry in your tone, your parents would not be happy if you were out in the city at a hospital not even working.

You froze as you thought of your mom, she hated that you had to take the bus and wished that you would work in the town. How would she take this?

The woman watched as you were about to break down in worry but she snapped you out of it just with her voice. "Are you alright?" She asked.

You took a deep breath, trying to calm your nerves, and asked, "Do you have a phone I can use? I just need to call my parents and tell them where I am, they're going to kill me if I don't."

The woman slid her phone on the counter, already having it on dial. You then thanked her with a grateful smile before taking the phone.

"I'll give it back as fast as I can," you told her as you started to put in your mother's number.