Teeth or No Teeth

why is the title so funny-

1975

------

Freddie sat at the piano bench, his fingers poised over the keys as the crowd roared, the low rumble of enthusiastic applause pulsing through the air.

As their cheers died down, the band exchanged a glance, all nodding in unison. Bathed in the scorching stage lights, they began the next song.

The piano riff echoed through the venue, soon to be joined by the Red Special, a thundering beat of Roger's drums escalating the song.

The bass became the final piece of the puzzle, melting into the sturdy background as Freddie rose from the piano bench.

"Fear me, you loathsome, lazy creatures..." Freddie sang, his voice soaring through the auditorium, the audience clapping along to the beat of the song.

Above their heads, a quarter sized piece of the stage's overhead construction began to slip loose, the screws around it slowly beginning to twist.

It unlodged itself from its "secure" positioning in the web of construction above the stage, dropping from the venue ceiling.

Freddie pranced around the stage as per usual, his ebony hair framing his chiseled face as his voice carried through the auditorium.

The chunk of metal free-fell from above the stage, the onyx black shade of the object blending in with the stage engulfed in the shadows of evening. 

It plummeted through the open-air before coming into sudden contact with the teeth of the man who would hate it most.

"Ow, what the f*ck?" Freddie exclaimed, clamping his hand over his mouth as the sound of the sickening crack replayed in his head over and over again.

The music quickly faded as his bandmates sprinted over to where he stood, his hand cupped over his mouth as his gums began to bleed.

"Freddie, what's going on?" Brian asked hastily, his voice tinged with worry. "Are you okay?" 

Freddie opened his mouth to speak, droplets of blood spilling onto his lips.

His bandmates' jaws dropped, their eyes widening as they exchanged glances with one another.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Freddie dismissed, waving it away. His heart rate quickened as he saw their apprehensive expressions, his eyebrows raising. "What? What is it?"

"Don't freak out..." Roger began, drawing out his panic-inspiring words.

"Well now I'm going to freak out!" Freddie hissed, studying their faces.

"Your te-"

"I think we should go backstage." John blurted, gently grabbing ahold of Freddie's trembling hand. The sound of their footsteps echoed through the venue swimming in silence as the crowd's eyes followed the silhouettes of their idols.

The golden-hued lights of backstage glared in their eyes, the roadies who accumulated backstage dispersing at the sudden appearance of the band.

"Fred, this might be upsetting." Brian attempted to brace Freddie for the reveal that would inevitably hurt Freddie mentally more than it did physically.

"You're making me nervous!" Freddie giggled anxiously, his eyes darting around the room.

"Everybody shut up." Y/N demanded, striding into the room. "I saw everything. Freddie darling, please smile for me."

"What? Why?" Freddie murmured, his vision swirling with dizziness as all of their anxious faces blurred. "Can someone just please tell me what's going on?!" He pleaded, his voice laced with desperation.