Death On Two Legs

current status: trying to be mature and getting rid of my toxic friends. but then i immediately say to myself "sMiTiNg ThE tOxIc PeOpLe"...w o w-

Edit: I did not get rid of her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1975

-------

The first breaths of autumn swirled in the crisp air, music drifting faintly through the speakers in the cafe. Red, orange, and yellow leaves glided through the air, crinkling to the ground and filling the grass with heaps of color.

The blue sky had slowly begun to fade into a pale grey, thick clouds accumulating in the sky. A gentle breeze trickled through the air, tinged with the bittersweet final songs of summer.

As the sun rose from below the horizon, colors spilled across the sky, light dancing in the eyes of the waking people. The chamoisee and sage green interior of the cafe glimmered under the previewing rays of sunlight shimmering through the open windows, casting an ethereal glow upon the room.

"What's the word for punishing yourself?" Olivia inquired, her elbow propped up on the counter, her golden-brown hair framing her face, the sun's beams reflecting in her eyes.

"Penance, I think." Y/N replied, laying her hand on the marble counter. The smooth marble slid under her fingertips, gliding against her skin. "How much longer do you think until people start coming?"

"Fifteen at least. No sane person is up this early." Olivia chuckled, raising an eyebrow as she shot a glance over at Y/N. Y/N was raised half-up onto the counter, her knees grazing the table.

"Fair point. Make no comment." Y/N giggled, swinging her legs to the other side, gazing out at the arrays of tables. Chairs sat empty through the cafe, framing the tables. The usual hum of chatter was replaced by the whispering of the winds.

"Oh, oh! There's a car!" Olivia squealed, waving her hand in Y/N's direction. Y/N scrambled from the counter, the sharp corner prodding at her skin. 

Four men stepped out of the car. A blonde, two brunettes, and a shorter one with black hair. The blondie leaped from the car, drumming faintly on the roof of the vehicle with his rough fingertips. The one with hair wrapped in bistre coils towered comically over the other three, his slim arms folded defensively over his chest, his gaze cast down at the cracked road. One of the others stood silently, sepia hair flowing over his shoulders, a demure smile on his lips.

The last one chatted quietly with the blondie, a faint grin twitching at his lips, a golden light twinkling in his eyes. He adorned a pair of tight jeans that clung to his lean legs, his feet seeming to barely sweep against the road as they sauntered towards the cafe.

"Whoa, hotties." Olivia breathed, running her fingers through her hair. "The one with the jeans is so your type." Olivia mused, nudging Y/N with her elbow.

Y/N's face flushed fandango pink, a flutter in her heart as the group of boys walked closer. She chuckled weakly, a sheepish smile creeping onto her lips.

"Oh, you know me. My type is quite specific. Someone who can sing and dance... someone theatrical, who's a little shy, and just as romantic as me...as if someone like that exists." She scoffed, squashing the flicker of hope in her lovelorn heart.

The tintinnabulation of the mini-bell dangling from their door handle trickled through the atmosphere, eclipsing the subtle drone of music.

"Hello, ladies." The blondie smirked, popping his head through the door. The remnants of a devious grin gleamed on his lips as he waved a hand in their direction.