Maybe This Isn't So Bad After All

writing this to calm down after writing about my bird haha
update: it's didn't work. i wasn't planning on making it start in a cemetery.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1978

-------

The hushed cemetery remained still, the whispering of the wind wafting through the air. The crisp aroma of grass melting with chilled night air hung in the atmosphere. The graveyard, bathed in shrouds of moonlight, stood frozen in time.

The moon cast a faint glow down upon the gravestones, shadows stretching upon the ground. The vibrant colors now muted and dimmed by the darkness enveloping the cemetery shifted and mixed as time ticked by.

The fresh night air swirled around her fingertips, whistling past her ears as she paced the grounds. Grass grazed her ankles, her bare feet sinking into the ground. The faint remnants of a broken smile began to fade on her cracked lips.

Tears infused with the weight of her sorrow traced her cheeks, her pounding heart creeping up her throat as hatred and acrimony rushed through her veins.

The thin string that connected her from the world she fought so hard to have her place in had snapped.

There was nothing here for her anymore.

The pale slices in her legs gleamed in the moonlight, trembling breaths escaping her lips. The reflection of moonlight seeped into her tearful eyes, a somber feeling dragging the weight that she should've felt lifted.

Grey gravestones sat in the ground, moss and plants stretching over multiple. The names of forgotten ones faded in the crusted tombs. The tombs were meant to be placeholders, to keep their memory alive though their spirit no longer remained on earth. Though it's much to ask of a simple rock in the ground, isn't it? You can't keep any part of someone alive if they're already long gone.

The red rose quivered in her trembling hand, her hot tears splashing onto the crumbling petals. Thorns pricked at her fingers, though she couldn't help but not care. A strong sense of resolution sank into her bones, streaming through her blood.

Without a second thought, she strode to the tomb she had visited so many times before. The world around her seemed to blur, her thoughts swirling as she knelt down, her knee brushing against the grass. A wave of crushing disconsolence crashed into her, tears cascading down her cheeks as she stifled her sobs.

The rose slipped from her fingers, settling before the grave. The name had worn long ago, though she could still see their face when she closed her eyes.

A mangled, fragmented smile trembled on her lips, the bittersweet ache of nostalgia punching her in the gut as she stumbled backwards, determined to leave.

Anywhere but here. I can't do this anymore. She thought, more tears slipping from her eyes. She trudged from the tombstone, the familiar dull pain of melancholic loss thrumming in her heart.

A familiar silhouette stood in the distance, locks of wavy brown hair spilling over his shoulders. His shaking hands hung by his sides, his eyes darting from left to right.

His gaze settled upon Y/N.

"Y/N?" He called, rushing forwards, grass swirling around his ankles as he did so, a small flame of hope flickering to life. 

Her throat immediately tightened as she glanced away, her eyes focused on the ground.  He crept closer, his hand settling on her shoulder.

"Not now, Freddie." She murmured, brushing his hand away. She began to hurry through the gate, her arms flattened at her sides as her pace quickened.

"Y/N, please. Just talk to me." Freddie pleaded, leaping in front of her. He clasped her hands in his, her watery eyes meeting his insistent gaze as she slowly glanced up to his face. 

"No. I can't talk to you if you're not going to listen." She protested, attempting to free herself from his steady grasp, though he held on tight to her hands.

"I am. Why wouldn't I?" Freddie whispered, stepping forward. He traced her face with a trembling hand, a shiver creeping down her spine at the sensation of his skin against hers. A delicate smile twisting his lips as Y/N leaned closer.

"Freddie, this is strictly unprofessional. I'm your manager, this shouldn't b-be happening." She shook her head softly, though she stood firm in her spot, staring up into Freddie's warm brown eyes.

"Right now, that doesn't matter. Right now, you are my best friend." He murmured, draping his arm across her shoulders as they leaned into each other. "So please, Y/N. Please tell me what's going on." He implored.

"I-I can't. It's too soon." She sniffled, succumbing to her pain. She buried her face in Freddie's chest, tears streaming down her face, misery tearing her apart from the inside.

"My love, it breaks my heart to see you so upset." He mumbled, enveloping her into a hug, their bodies intertwining under the glow of the moonlight.

"I-I can't help it." Y/N confessed, tearing away from his embrace. "C-can I hold your hand?" She stammered, a vermillion blush rising in her cheeks as she felt her face heat up. A soft giggle escaping his lips, Freddie chuckled.

"Of course, my love. Do you want to go back home now?" He offered, silvery moonlight reflecting in his eyes. Concern flooded his expression, his eyebrows furrowed.

Y/N nodded weakly, fumbling to reach Freddie's hand with her quivering arms. Their fingers interlocked, their pulses matching under the spell of the night sky. Stars speckled the scene above them, dusting the inky sky. They cast a tender glow upon the pair as they strolled from the cemetery gates.

They walked in silence, mellow smiles on their lip as they stole glances at one another. The doors of their house came into view, a soft-hearted melody weaving through the silence.

Without a word, Freddie gave the door a gentle push. Golden light spilled through the dark mask of the night, a few fragmented sentences and phrases cutting through the silence. 

"We're here." Freddie called out, placing a hand on Y/N's shoulder. Commotion erupted from inside the house, a few shrill screams piercing through the quiet atmosphere. The pair slipped in through the doorway, small smiles on their lips.

Maybe this isn't so bad after all.

Soon after that, Y/N had drifted off into sleep. The last thing she could remember was the feeling of Freddie's lips on hers.

A/N
this took me so long to write. I haven't actually written anything since the last one-shot, because I accidentally traumatized myself.
i'm so happy that i finally wrote something, because I was legitimately starting to get nervous that i lost it-