Somebody To Love

I've had this idea in my head since 8:30 AM.

As you'll be able to tell, this one-shot is based off of the performance I linked above!

1981
-------

Y/N's POV

"They're going to start Somebody To Love." I whispered from backstage, gazing out at the band. Roger grinned wildly, twirling his drumsticks and winking as he caught my eye. Brian smiled shyly out at the audience, tossing his mop of hair over his shoulder, his cheeks turning pink as the crowd went wild. Deaky was in his own world, glancing down at his bass and running his fingers over the strings.

And Freddie.

Oh my god, where do I start?

He sat at the piano, his forehead shining with sweat as a grin appeared on his face, chuckling slightly as he played the first few notes. Drawing in a deep breath, he leaned towards the microphone and began to sing.

It was electrifying.

He glided across the stage with ease, his voice carrying all the way to the back of the room as he sang his heart out, his smile slowly growing more and more melancholy as the song continued.

"They made it, Y/N. They really did." Theresa giggled softly, her eyes dreamy as she spaced out in Roger's deep blue eyes, twirling a lock of her black hair around her finger. The two had been dating for a few weeks, though the idea never truly seemed to reach her brain. I guess there's not much that really goes on in that big head of hers.

"Yeah," I murmured absentmindedly, the faint remnants of a smile on my lips as I stared out at them, my heart melting as I laid eyes upon Freddie. 

My heart leapt into my throat as he looked our way. He gazed our way, a frown slightly tugging at his lips, his eyes swirling with helplessness. His cheery demeanor slipped away for a fraction of a second before he plastered a smile back on his face and continued to sing, dancing around the stage. Since the second he laid eyes upon me, his smile and energy had faded away. Only pieces of his cheeriness and excitement remained.

"The stage is my canvas, Y/N." He had said. "If I'm happy, the audience is. I'm in not... and they can tell..." He had trailed off there, staring at me with sorrowful eyes before he masked it over with a weary smile, a melancholy glow remaining in his eyes as he had walked away. That was the first night they performed under my management. 

So this is what he meant.

"Oh, they just all look so happy." Theresa swooned, her eyes still locked Roger's as she spoke, her airy tone floating through the air filled with music, barely making it to my ears.

"Uh-huh." I mumbled, nodding slightly, my thoughts far away. Is he okay? This is the last song, and he's been so amazing tonight. He's probably just tired. Right? Oh, f*ck, he doesn't really get tired. He loves performing! Well, then what the hell's wrong? Nothing! I'm hallucinating, right? Right? No, I'm probably not. Oh my f*cking god, I need to pay attention more.

He fumbled for a second, sliding back to the piano bench, his fingers gently caressing the keys of the piano, as he leaned in towards the microphone. 

"Somebody to love!" He sang, a single tear tracing down his cheeks as he pulled away. He swallowed thickly, his eyes swimming with hopelessness as he brushed the tears away from his eyes.

Well, he's definitely not okay.

Oh f*ck.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------