worth every mile ; b.cn

after enduring the exhaustive and seemingly irrelevant airport procedures, she finally reached the taxi stand, the clock ticking toward midnight. she would do anything and everything to just teleport to her boyfriend's place, but since that's impossible, she clings on to the anticipation of being in chan's arms in an hour or 2.

seeking a quieter spot away from the bustling airport, y/n, aware of chan's predictable sleep pattern, takes a chance and rings him up. when he not so surprisingly answers her call, she has to bite her lips to stop herself from squealing out loud. she clears her throat and speaks, "hey love, what you up to?"

she hears him moving about before responding, "never mind me, what're you up to, babe? his question takes her by surprise a bit, but she comes up with a convincing response, "i'm out with the girls, having a girls' day out."  she chuckles at her own fib, adding, "why are you still awake?"

"i uh... i don't know! you know how it is,"  he laughs nervously, making his response sound a bit comical. a sudden loud noise interrupts him, and, as if trying to muffle it, he coughs – the cough sounding strangely amplified, as if he coughed right into the microphone. 

"woah..." y/n exclaims before pulling the phone away from her ears. "are you sick? that didn't sound so good" before she could say anything else, chan mutters something to himself before speaking again, "baby, i think the dishwasher is acting up, i'll call you back!"

"okayyy...?"  y/n says to herself as she disconnects the call before heading back to the taxi stand. 'when did he get a dishwasher?'  she wonders, studying the line ahead of her.

─────

a few thousand miles away, chan too was examining the long queue of people ahead of him waiting to collect their baggage. he felt horrible about lying to y/n, but he had no choice; he couldn't possibly ruin the surprise he had for her. he'd flown down to y/n's city to surprise her. being in a long distance relationship was the hardest thing ever, but for y/n, he would do anything. 

he hadn't expected to find true love, let alone from thousands of miles away. the few weeks they'd spend with each other when either one of them flew out to see other were the best few weeks of their lives. and it had been way too long since they'd see each other.

'with the queue so long, i'll probably reach her place by late evening.'  he thinks,

the weariness of the long flight was clinging onto him like a second skin. the hum of conversations, the occasional beeps of scanners, and the distant echo of announcements created a symphony of sounds.

a while later, he finally manages to secure his bag and makes his way to the taxi stand. as he waits for his uber, he smiles to himself, trying to picture y/n's reaction. the far-off sounds of the city and the occasional whoosh of passing cars surround chan. impatiently, he glances at his phone to check when the cab would arrive, tapping his foot. fatigue settles in his bones, and he yearns for her arms. when the cab arrived, the driver motioned for him to get inside. chan leaned back, letting the sound of the engine and the passing landscape soothe him.

home was just a cab ride away, and chan could sense a burst of energy with every street the cab passed; the thought of being with y/n dissolved all his tiredness.

─────

as the soft glow of streetlights cast a warm ambiance, chan waited by the porch, a bundle of nerves and excitement coursing through his veins. he took a deep breath to calm his racing heart, clutching a small bouquet of flowers he had purchased from her favorite florist around the street.