empty glasses ; l.mh

"next stop: city hall"

lost in her thoughts, the announcement of her stop's arrival startles hwan out of her trance. she signals her colleague, who insisted on letting hwan take the empty seat when they boarded the subway, to take the seat before someone else manages to slip into it.

"enjoy your date!"

hwan spoke as she steps out, coaxing a laugh along with that.

the doors close before her colleague could respond and hwan grins at her as she finds her way out of the station.

the brisk winter air greets her as she continues walking down the path that leads home. the bitter coldness of the wind makes her tug her coat closer, in an attempt to keep herself warm. she'd worn a sky blue coat that complimented her formal work attire that day, the coat her fiancé 'gifted' her. the very thought of him made her wince quite a lot lately.

in an effort to divert her train of thoughts, she tries to recall the last time she had her favorite soup, last time she crocheted herself a scarf, looked for a new pair of heels, whether her favorite perfume's back on sale, the last time she went on a date...

"ah f*ck this."

it took all she had in her to not slam the door open into the house, however, that did not stop her from slamming in the digits of the lock on the door.

"woah! relax, gorgeous."

hwan stops dead in her tracks. she had absolutely no idea why she was being welcomed by her fiance, in an apron and with a glass of wine, instead of the usual emptiness of the apartment. she tries to conceal the shock on her face, but minho is quick to catch on.

"i guess my surprise was a pleasant one! you should have seen that look on your face."  he smirks.

'it's not good to be so full of yourself, shithead'  she yells at him, obviously in her head.

"come, come, take a seat. dinner's ready! don't let it turn cold."

minho beckons as hwan still tries to absorb the situation. she proceeds to take her coat and shoes off at the entrance, taking her own time in doing so; this was the last thing she wanted to go through today.

"when'd you come home?"

she takes her seat, opposite to minho's. her voice lacked her usual zest and excitement.

"you don't look too happy to see me today, hwan."

his smile turns, and he wears the expression she despised; the one he'd wear whenever he felt like 'interrogating' her.

"no.. i'm just tired. i'm sorry."

lies. she felt empty. it wasn't the first time she felt like this about him. lately, even the mere mention of him made her want to flip tables and throw hands at whatever came her way.

"ha..."

he looked irritated. and honestly, hwan couldn't bother to care anymore. the man sitting in front of her was once the guy who made her feel like the most adorned person to ever exist. and he was also the one who made her feel like a screw-up.

"what?" she keeps her cutlery to the sides and stares him down.

minho tilts his head, surprised by her reaction.

it's not that hwan hated minho. they were engaged, for God's sake, but she couldn't bear him at times. at times like this, especially.

they'd known each other for 6 years, dated for 4, and had been engaged for the past year, yet she felt like she was in love with a stranger. it was his mysteriousness that always piqued hwan's interest, but it was also what was enraging her on the inside.