Chapter 14: In Defense of Minas Tirith.

Back in Gondor, the Rohirrim had stopped by a lake on their way to Minas Tirith. They were making good time, but not good enough. Eomer had galloped up to Théoden.

"The Scouts report Minas Tirith is surrounded. The lower levels in flames." Eomer reported. "Everywhere, legions of the enemy advance." 

Théoden knew that time was up to stop and rest. They had to get to Minas Tirith with double the speed. "Time is against us." He said to himself. "Make ready!" He ordered his soldiers. 

Jon sighed. He and the Rohirrim were riding hard. They had to if they wanted to save the city. And Arya and Pippin too. And he was by Eowyn and Merry. He looked at his longsword, Longclaw. And the Direwolf hilt on it. 

"Take heart, Merry. It will soon be over." Eowyn assured Merry as Merry was eating. And Eowyn was also trying to reassure herself. 

"My lady. You are fair and brave and have much to live for." Merry said. "And many who love you." 

Eowyn turned her head to Merry. "I know there is not much point now in hoping. If I were a knight of Rohan capable of great deeds, but I'm not. I'm a Hobbit. And I know I can't save Middle Earth." Merry continued. "I just want to help my friends; Frodo, Sam, Pippin, Sansa, Arya. More than anything I wish I could see them again." 

"We'll see Arya, Pippin, and Sansa again." Jon assured. "Arya and Pippin are at Minas Tirith, and Sansa is getting us more reinforcements." 

"I suppose that's true." Merry admitted.

"And you don't have to a knight to be capable of Great Deeds. Father once said that even the lowest of any peasant if he has the will can turn the tide of any battle. A lot of the soldiers in the Northern Army started off as peasants before they came into the service of our House." Jon added. "And... didn't you and Arya and Pippin destroy Isengard?" He asked.

"Technically, the Ents did that." Merry corrected.

"And who persuaded the Ents to go to war in the first place?" Jon asked. "You guys did. Sansa also told me that you led her and Frodo to Bucklebury Ferry to get away from the Nazgul and led you to Bree. You may not be a Knight of Rohan. But what you do have is simple courage." He explained. 

Eowyn looked at Jon taking Jon's words to heart. "And if everyone in the world had the same amount of Simple courage that you did, Merry... well, we'd have already won this war." 

Merry nodded. 

And the rest of the Rohirrim were all saddling up back on their horses. 

"Prepare to move out!" Eomer ordered.

"Make haste. We ride through the night!" Théoden ordered as a soldier blew a horn. 

"Come on. We've got work to do." Jon got back up on his horse. And Merry and Eowyn exchanged looks. It was time to mobilize.

"Riding with Eowyn?" Jon asked.

"Yes I am." Merry answered as he put on his helmet. Eowyn put on her own helmet. 

"To battle." Eowyn declared.

"To battle." Merry repeated. 

"To battle." Jon also repeated and with all the motivation in the world to get to Minas Tirith.

Back at Minas Tirith. The Orcs continued to besiege the burning cities even into the night. Now they were lighting up fire balls on their Catapults, and launched them over the walls raining fire down on the city which was burning from the inside out and scattering the Gondorians.