Did he want to run through the trees?

Cocking my head, I tried to imagine what he would look like, playing in the forest, darting in between the trees, chasing other pack members.

Would he stumble that much once he was in his natural state? In his natural environment?

Keeping close to the tree trunks, careful to only walk from one tree to the other once I was sure that Radley wasn't looking, I carried on following him.

I needed to stay downwind of him. His sense of smell would be far more advanced than mine ... he would probably be able to smell me before he could see me.

And I didn't want him to know I was following him.

Again.

Like I had been following him for a few weeks now.

Dad had wanted me to choose a young pack member, a weaker one, as my first. And, after watching the pack for a while, getting a feel of the rankings, I had soon worked out that Radley was the one I was looking for.

The one I wanted.

I just wasn't quite prepared for him to be that ... cute ... up close.

I mean, I had thought he was lovely before, but that was when I was further away, perched up high, hiding, stalking ...

Not right in front of him.

Goosebumps rushed across my skin and I leaned against the nearest tree, pushing my back against the bark.

Flexing my hands, I thought about Dad, about what he would say of my visit to the pack today, about who I had chosen.

He would be proud ... wouldn't he?

A bead of sweat trickled down my back, despite the chill of the wind rustling the leaves around me. My hands were cooling, so I flexed them again, concentrating on curling my fingers into my palm, then straightening them out.

I couldn't choose the Alpha of the pack. And the Alpha's son was out of the question. Not only would he be strong, confident and fearless, just like his father, he had shifted for the first time last night. And that meant he would be stronger and faster than before.

He would overpower me, take me down, no matter how much training I'd had.

So I had to start with the weaker, more vulnerable, pack members ... and work my way up to the Alpha.

A cold snake of guilt coiled in my stomach and I sighed. That was the plan. The plan that my father had worked out for me.

But I hadn't expected one of the weaker pack members to be so ... adorable.

Maybe I should choose someone else?

Radley kept walking, his eyes darting to the woods, searching through the trees. He was on alert. So I had to be sure to stalk quietly, remember my training. My dad's words floated in my head, his wisdom, the speeches he'd used while I was training. And I listened to them. Did just as he had advised.

Use the trees as cover.

Tread carefully.

Be aware of your surroundings.

My dad knew this pack well, recognised the lands and the borders, was well acquainted with sneaking in and out without being seen or detected in any way.

And I tried to be like that.

Be like him.

My eyes swept over the woodlands, keeping Radley in sight.