4 | Ashbourne Heights.

June 16, 2023 | 6:00pm
Ashbourne Heights | Calder Estate.

-

The afternoon sun shines down on Calder Estate, casting a warm glow over the sprawling property. In the kitchen, two young maids, Lily and Rose, finish up their cleaning duties. The uncanny resemblance between the two girls is striking, with their long, flowing chestnut hair, fair skin, and deep blue eyes. Their uniforms are pristine and neatly pressed, accentuating their youthful beauty and highlighting their purpose.

As Lily and Rose put away their cleaning supplies, in walks Lillian Calder, the matriarch of the family. Lillian as always is elegant and graceful, wearing a tailored navy blue dress that hugs her slender figure. Her silver necklace glimmers under the light, and her perfectly styled bleach-blonde hair cascades down her shoulders.

"Lily, Rose, you can leave now and go prepare the guest facilities," Lillian announces with a gentle wave of her hand. The girls nod in compliance, their hushed conversation leaving with them as they exit the kitchen.

She surveys then kitchen's warm and inviting space, characterized by its sleek stainless steel appliances and wide open layout. The centerpiece of the kitchen is the expansive island, featuring one side dedicated to cooking and cleaning, equipped with state-of-the-art appliances and a pristine white countertop. Floating cabinets line the walls, further enhanced by the paneled walls and a large walk-in pantry, which extends along an entire wall. A set of grand stairs leads to a second level, adding a touch of grandeur to the overall design. The plush seating choices include a dining space with a view of the backyard and a curved banquette next to floor-to-ceiling windows.

Lillian sighs softly as she walks over to the sink, glancing out the window at the vast property. The tranquility of the surroundings is momentarily disrupted as a car pulls up. From upstairs, Lillian watches as a tall man emerges from the vehicle. His greenish-brown hair glints under the sunlight, and his shoulder-length locks whip around in the wind. A smile graces Lillian's face as she recognizes her eldest son, Raymond Calder Jr.

Leaving the kitchen, Lillian makes her way to the foyer just as one of the maids from earlier lets Raymond in. He is accompanied by a man trailing behind him, carrying more suitcases than expected. Lillian's eyes widen slightly at the sight, her interest piqued, perhaps worried.

"Raymond, darling, this is a pleasant surprise. I thought you were arriving in four days," Lillian says with a hint of surprise in her voice. She walks up to him and they embrace warmly before pulling away. "Do you not plan to do any shopping in New York, or are you telling me that you're changing your mind about getting married in LA?" Lillian asks, her curiosity getting the better of her.

Raymond, or Ray as he is called, lets out a sigh and smiles, but there's a hint of something in his eyes that Lillian can't quite decipher. He takes a moment before responding, "Maybe just a little, but I'm actually planning to move back to New York, so I'm probably gonna be too busy."

Lillian is taken aback by this unexpected revelation. "Oh, well, that's a wonderful surprise," she says, excitement and concern painting her tone.

His features darken slightly as he takes a step back. Lillian notices the change and asks, "What's wrong, baby boy?"

Ray takes a deep breath and says, "I'm early because Elise and I... we-we got in a fight."

Lillian gasps in shock, her concern growing. "Well, what about the wedding, son?"

Ray rolls his eyes and begins to circle Lillian, but she follows him as he navigates the familiar corridors, her curiosity burning within her. "I have to ask, dear, you do remember the last runaway bride," Lillian remarks, a hint of caution in her voice.