How Insensitive

"Reaction, ovservation, communication-any questions so far?" Miranda Bailey asked.

All the residents were in the skills lab for sensitivity training. Most of the room shot up their hands. Emma looked at her friends from her spot between Charlies and Reed.

"We are doing this because Chief Shepherd suggest we brush up on our parient sensitivity skills, that's why. And it just so happens this morning was a very good time. Besides, half of you were raised by wolves."

"She's talking about you." Alex said looking at Emma.

"I'm sorry, are you talking to yourself?" The room chuckled.

"Reaction. Keep your face impassive. Whether prompted by a patient's appearance or lab results, facial expressions of surprise, concern, disgust, etcetera, can be counter productive." Miranda read from the packet. "Jokes, don't make jokes about patients. Not in front of them, not eben in private. Yang?" 

"What if the joke is really funny?"

"It's not, neither was that one. Moving on. Observation." Miranda Bailey's pager began to beep. "Use reflective listening, repeat the patient's feeling sback to them, um, 'I hear that your concerned about the surgery, let me explain the risks'."

"I can see you like vegetables, after surgery you might become one." Alex said. Emma and a few other residents laughed. 

"Communication. Uh, don't use jargon. Use language that the patient can understand. Be creative in using metaphors.

"Charles is terrible with mataphors." Emma said. 

"It's true, I can never come up with them." 

"Why? 'Cause you're dumb as a box of hammers?" Cristina said. Emma was confused on why someone would have a box of hammers. 

"You see, that's a good one. You're an ass but that was a good one." 

"Be clear and comprehensive. Explain all risks and all probable outcomes. Questions? Adamson."

"Why are you going so fast?"

"That's what she said." Emma couldn't stop herself from saying causing the whole room to laugh. 

"Shut it, Harlow. We have an emergent patient arriving who will need a little extra senstivity. So, remember to employ your R.O.C and you will-rock your patients world. Okay, that's enough of that follow me to the pit." She told the laughing residents. "Hustle!"

The group followed Bailey to the OR. Emma between Charles and Alex.

"Did you get Izzie's message? Did you sign the divorce papers?" Meredith asked. 

"Yeah, I gotta find them and I'll send them."

"Izzie sent you divorce papers?" Lexie asked from behind Emma and him.

"Yeah, so?"

"Nothing, just uh, congratulations. Or, something. Excuse me." 

"What's her problem?" 

"She cares, that's her problem." Meredtih said. "She cares about you."

"She dosen't." Alex shook her head. He pretended to look at the ambulance to glance at Emma. "It's not like we're a thing." 

"Well, you should make it a thing or put a stop to it."

Emma took a deep breath as the ambulence came in followed byt a dump truck.

"All right people! Remember what you've been taught. Use it throughout the day. There will be consequences if you don't." 

"What the hell is it?" Alex asked.