[28] Caught

Two weeks had passed since Akk had last spoken to Ayan. On that crucial day, Ayan had left him and Akk couldn't blame him. He wouldn't be surprised if Ayan would never forgive him. After all Akk had let him down again, even accusing the other of lying. Akk did the exact thing that he had promised Ayan never to do again and he did it again, just after a few days. Akk was ridden with guilt but believed it was for the best. They had parted their ways for good.

„Akk, did you listen to what I just said?" The loud sound of a thick book being dropped on the table made Akk flinch visibly, snapping him back to reality. Startled, Akk looked up only to see Mes, the one who had dropped the book, standing in front of him with an annoyed look on his face.

"Sorry, Mes..." Akk mumbled absentmindedly. "I'm just nervous."

"Akk," Mes warned in a serious tone, giving the younger a sharp look. "You need to focus. This is your first mission and there you will have to prove your worth and loyalty to our group, otherwise you will..." Mes didn't finish his sentence, knowing Akk could already guess what would happen if he disobeyed 'them'.

Akk nodded well-behaved like he was supposed to, swallowing the lump that had formed in his throat. "Yes, of course. I will do anything to prove my worth to the team. You can count on me." Mes nodded satisfied and then dismissed Akk.

Akk was nervous. The party was coming closer, only two weeks were left, and he was still conflicted what to do when that day was coming. The last fight with Ayan came to his mind and he was even more confused. It felt like everything he did was somehow always wrong and Akk didn't what to do anymore. Actually he didn't know for a long time.

As if controlled by a remote Akk walked through the school hallways, not knowing where to head. He was only brought to reality when he suddenly bumped into someone, making him stumble a few steps back.

"Sorry, I wasn't looking." Akk immediately apologised, walking over to the student. "Are you alright?" He asked when he noticed the black hoodie. He stopped mid way.

"Aye?" It slipped out of him before he could stop himself, taking a closer look at the other he hadn't seen for two weeks. Ayan was looking even worse than the last time. No, he was looking the worst Akk had ever seen him. Ayan looked unhealthily pale, his shoulders slouched, his eyes were hollow with dark big eye bags underneath, yet filled with anger and disgust, while looking at Akk who was immediately reminded how much he had messed up again. The sight of Ayan almost crushed him.

He wanted to help Ayan get up but the other slapped Akk's hand away while trying so. And continued walking without looking at Akk before eventually leaving Akk. Akk wanted to stop the other so badly, telling how much he missed him, how sorry he was and how much he regretted everything. But Akk couldn't. It wasn't his place. He had no right. So he just let Ayan walk away, feeling a pang in his heart.

-

It was the day of the party and Akk anxiously stood by the school door, observing students entering with excitement. He was waiting for the other prefects to come and watch over that nothing was going wrong with the plan. Akk didn't know where the exchange was going to be planned, he just knew that it was somewhere behind the school around. Akk really hoped that Ayan might have changed his mind about their plan and wouldn't proceed trying to expose them.

Despite the cheerful atmosphere of laughter and dancing, an underlying tension lingered in the air, as if something was about to go really downhill, making Akk increasingly suspicious and distrustful. He had a weird gut feeling about the whole situation but he tried his best to ignore it, concentrating on his task.

Amidst the crowd Akk suddenly saw Thua coming towards him, waving at him, and just behind him one of the prefects who was working together with Akk for today. Thua approached him friendly and gave him a small smile which Akk returned. "It's such a pity that you guys can't enjoy the party as well. It's really fun!" Thua expressed. "I hope your job is not too stressful." Akk shook his head, feeling getting more relaxed while talking to Thua.