Scouting The Enemy

Jared rides alongside his men towards the place where Elise has seen Harmony last, pushing his horse as fast as he can go. He knows what he has to do, but fears what he will find once he finally finds Harmony.

He remembers how much happier Jensen had become once he started spending time with Harmony, the change visible for everyone to see, and how miserable he had become when the whole mistress fiasco happened. He can't help but smile when he remembers how Harmony handled Lady Teagan and a spark of hope ignites in his chest.

He knows Harmony is strong, and if given the chance she will give the rebels a run for their money, all she needs to do is hold on until they can find her. And he will find her. He has yet to disappoint Jensen, being his Second-In-Command since Jensen became King, and he isn't about to start now. Not when Harmony's life is on the line.

Jared knows just how much Harmony means to Jensen, and he fears what losing Harmony will do to Jensen. He still remembers how hard Jensen took the late Queen's death, and how it took Harmony to bring him back to his old self again. If anything happens to her, he doesn't want to imagine what that will do to his friend.

One of his men tells him they are at the place Elise told him and they all dismount. Jared tells his men to search for clues and tracks to where the rebels might've taken Harmony. He has some of the best trackers of the Kingdom in the King's army and is sure that they will find something.

Just as Jared had expected, just a few minutes after they arrived, one of the trackers tells him he has something. Getting back on their horses, Jared lets the man lead the way. Night has already started to fall, and Jared knows they don't have much time before it becomes impossible for them to follow the tracks.

However, it turns out they didn't need to follow the tracks for long. After riding a couple of miles up the road, Jared can see the glow of a large fire and tells his men to leave their horses and to go on foot. Making a slow approach to where the fire is located, staying in the shadows, Jared is surprised by how easy it was to find the rebels' camp.

He sends his men to scout the place and to look for Harmony, before sending one of them back to the Castle for reinforcements. Without having to go very far, Jared can tell they are outnumbered and he isn't willing to risk Harmony's life with a rescue attempt with the men he has with him.

The soldier leaves and Jared goes in search of Harmony. As he comes around a tree, hiding in the shadows so not to be seen, he spots her sitting on a cage too small for her, right next to a large tent. Jared wants to go in and rescue her, but he knows he can't, and neither can he risk letting her know he's there. Not without alerting the rebels to their presence.

Jared doubles back, memorizing exactly where Harmony is being held and gets reports from his men as they arrive at the original spot. Jared tells his men to choose strategic positions and that once reinforcements arrive, they will attack and free Harmony.

Now, all that Jared can do is wait and pray that, by the time reinforcements arrive, it won't be too late.