Masks Are Real.

Lukes POV:

If fear had a smell, it would be pungent all the way across this table right now.

He still hasn't recognized me, which was honestly a shock. I mean, he is the one who had to get a crew together to find me and put me on their impossible mission.

If it wasn't for him and The Mans plan, none of this would have even happened.

And yet, he still does not know who i am.

What a pathetic excuse for a lead position.

I guess I should be grateful for it though, seeing as the woman I love was in this very room with me now.

Thats right. I said it.

I love her.

I tried to write it out all those days ago, tried to write in my book about how love must feel and how i think this is what it is.

I haven't told her yet. And even though my reasoning may sound like an excuse, I would put my hand on the bible right now and take an oath.

I haven't told her because it hasn't been the right time.

If we werent around the boys, we were around her father. If we weren't around her father, we were around Kouvr.

The bookstore could have been the perfect moment to do it. We were alone, she was happy.

And god, the way she just smiled and laughed.

It was enough to make me want to burn the world down just so I would be the only one who could ever see it.

But I didnt do it. It was a moment for her, and only her. I didn't want to get in between something for her and her brother.

Not again.

I flick my eyes toward Maeve, who sat cooly by my side, her finger gently circling the glass of wine as she watched for any tricks Corey might have up his sleeve.

So far, nothing.

We set up a code, i should add. She would lightly tap my leg with her heel if she got a sense something was up. But Corey had to be somewhat decent at his job for him to make it this far in this world.

So I was not trusting anything.

"Hit me." His tone was ragged, the sweat beaming on his forehead from the luminating glow of the chandelier in the center of the room was almost sickening.

I slap another card down, watching closely for any sign of disagreement on his face as he slowly lifts the side.

"Ha!" He chuckles, slamming down an eight of spades, a one of hearts, and an Ace, "I win!"

I check my cards, before nudging Maeve slightly on the shoulder, her eyes peering down to my own stack in my hand as she smirks.

"King and an Ace."

"Fuck!" Corey shouts, his fist being the first form of contact into the table before his cards come flying out next.

"Two in a row," I try to sound casual, but my imaginary fist was pumping wildly through the air as I lean forward, "looks like you have to pay up."

"You are not going to want that." his voice was low, timid. He looked even more nervous now then he did before the games even started.

"You had a deal," Maeve pipes in, taking a seat across my lap as she joins in on the interrogation, "he gets to ask some questions, you get to give us honest answers. It is that easy."