c h a p t e r . t h i r t e e n

REIGN

"He didn't what?" Stephen grits. Seb stays silent, knowing very well Stephen heard what he said. "I feel like I'm hearing things."

"Old age does that," Axel snorts and Stephen shoots him a glare. The Italian smirks undeterred and kept typing on his phone— probably texting Luna.

"He didn't send it, Boss," Seb says again. He's on the phone with someone, probably a guy from the port.

"And I'd be a fool to send him his half of the shipment," Stephen growls. I sat at the big table in the meeting room. Tristan strolls in after me, taking the empty seat next to me. "No offense to Carla, but who the f*ck raised this guy?"

Axel chuckles, "she'd take offence. Can we end the alliance?"

"That would suggest we're weak," Seb answers.

"And God knows how this jackass would retaliate," Stephen adds. "We didn't meet his demands so he's acting out," Stephen pinches the bridge of his nose. "Where's Cain? See if he can get me a secure line to Damon." An hour later, a newly sickening voice comes through the speakerphone.

"Hola mis amigos. I see you that you got, well, nothing. Hope no one— what's that phrase— blew their top off." he chuckles, poking at Stephen. Not wise.

"Listen you here you little asshole," Stephen skips out every pleasantry in the books. "You're dumber than you look if you think you're going to succeed at whatever stunt you're trying to pull." Stephen huffs, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I'm giving you one chance. You accept the deal as it was and I will erase this childish behaviour from my memory. Or you can f*ck around and find out. Your choice."

Damon laughs. Loudly. "I think I'll pass on that one. The deal my mother made needed— what's the word? — an update," I can hear the smug expression on his face. "I simply provided everyone with the opportunity for change."

Axel rolls his eyes and Seb records the call. "Put Carla on the phone, Damon," Stephen loses his patience.

"I'm afraid my dear mother is unable to do that at the moment. She's a bit tied up," Damon sounds as if he's the most relaxed person on the planet.

Is it just me or did that sound like a play on words?

"Tick tick, Laurent," Damon chimes before hanging up the phone.

"I got every second," Seb cuts the recording. "Anyone else got the play on words he made about Carla?"

"I did," Axel nods. "You think he captured his parents and hen them somewhere?"

"I wouldn't put it past him," Tristan answers. "Do you want me to send some people to find out?"

"Yes," Stephen nods. "I need to find out where his head is," he sends someone a text. "Seb, beef up security on every woman and child in this house. I will not risk their lives with this psychopath on the loose."

—-

"You're still avoiding her?" Raph asks, breaking the silence. Why did I go to lunch with him today?

"Mind your business," I grunt, not walking to talk about anything that had to a five foot three woman with brown and purple hair and big brown eyes that made question myself sometimes.

"Frankly, this is my business," he says as a matter-of-factly.

"Is it really?" I asked sarcastically.

"Don't sass me, Henri." I hate when he calls me by my middle name. "You've been talking about her non-stop for four plus years. I feel like I've known her my whole life through you— cuz you can't shut up about her. It's obvious that you're in love with her. And anyone can see that she's obsessed with you." My eyes flicked to his in panic. Love? I wasn't ready to admit it in my head nor in person. Raph raised his hands in protest. I glared at him. This is why I choose silence. "Don't hate me for stating the truth."

"I just don't want her to feel rushed. She's just getting into it at work." I say already feeling guilty. I messed up. Who the hell told me to lean forward with the full intention of kissing her and taking what I want, only to pull back like a pure-breed chicken. The look in her eyes will always haunt me.

I find myself leaning closer to her. Mint and citrus might as well be my oxygen now. Shiny lips, soft cheeks. My eyes lock with hers. I'm happy to say she doesn't look like a deer in headlights. My eyes instinctively drop to her lips when she subtly licks them. I growled softly. The freaking cupcake still sits in the middle of us. My white t-shirt be damned, I'll kiss her now if she wants me to.

I feel her fingers tentatively run up my chest and grab the nape of my round neck. "Reign."

F*ck. Me.

"Yes, peach?" her scent surrounds the area. What used to smell like wet grass now smells like Royalty. She is everything in this moment. I brushed my nose against hers. I watch mesmerized as her eyes closed. "What is it, sweetheart?" either by some stroke of luck or pare torment, my lips brush against hers. Royal takes a sharp breath, those big brown eyes staring at me. I wanted to kiss her so she can have some idea of what she does to me and how gone I am for her.

Wait. What am I dong? Fxck. I can't do this.

Royalty must sense my inner turmoil because she pulls away. When her hand slides off of my neck and places it in her lap with a closed-off, hurt expression, I know I've stepped in it. "Peach," I try to reach for her but she pulls away from me. My chest starts to hurt. I don't like that look on her face and I hate even more that I put it there. "Listen, peach. I-"

"It's okay, Reign," she cuts me off. Why can't I talk? Say something! "I'll meet you inside, okay?" I don't get to react when she presses a kiss to my check. I watch her walk away and I feel like someone just ripped my heart out.

"Don't hate me, but I think you should tell her. I've been working with her for a while and that woman is a natural. She keeps her head on. I don't think a relationship with the man who loves her is going to throw that off. If anything, it will help. Help her in general and help to you stop being a whiny sack every time I see you," I snort. "I'm serious, dude. I'm this close to duct - taping your mouth every time we get lunch." he puts a ting space between his thumb and his index finger to show me how thin his patience is. I rolled my eyes ends checked the time.

Crap. She's almost done with her shift. I looked up at Raph, who simply shoos me away with a flick of his wrist. "Go and get your girl, Vincent." I'm sweating bullets by the time I get off to my office. If I hurry I can probably meet her in the parking lot. I speed-walle, pulling my tie. The only thing I don't plan for is Royalty to be in my office in an outfit that screams 'I'm pissed at you but we have business to discuss!'

And for some reason other than I may or may not value my life, I want to be that business.