c h a p t e r . s i x

ROYALTY

One month in...

I'm not a pessimistic person but May better treat me like a queen. April sent me. I adore this place and the people in it. I've learnt through experience that the first week is always the hardest. For school, it was the first semester. For work, it was the first freaking MONTH. I've made a lot of friends here. Natalie and I communicate regularly via Snapchat. Our streak is on thirty-one and counting. She's enjoying her married life to the fullest.

I stuffed another spoonful of pasta that I made for desperate times when my phone pinged. A small smile grew on my face when I saw the muscle and green heart emojis.

I was on my night shift and Reign and I normally left together when our schedules matched. Five more hours and I'm free.

Big Guy💚💪🏼: hey peach, how's the shift going?

Me: It's a long one but I'm okay

Big Guy💚💪🏼: Ride home with me?

Me: As if you can leave me to fend for myself

I smirk. I can just hear his sigh now.

Big Guy💚💪🏼: I mean you seem to be doing pretty fine on your own

An unlady like snort left my mouth. "Shit," I looked around to see if anyone was around. All clear. I should have expected that.

Me: watch it Vincent

He took a few minutes to reply.

Big Guy💚💪🏼: cut the sass then

Me: then your life would be boring babe. We can't have that

I send my text without a second thought. Babe? Oi. Just when I thought he won't respond, he does. And it's the most infuriating thing he can do.

Big Guy💚💪🏼: 😉

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

"Dumb mystery man," I huffed playfully.

I breezed through the last longest five hours of my life. My reward? A truck filled with my favourite man who smells like mint and sandalwood. How does he manage to still smell good after a shift? "Hi peach. You look exhausted," Reign says softly, leaning over the console to brush a twist out of my face.

"That happens when one is exhausted," I smart, leaning into his soft almost ghostly touch.

"Hmm," he hums. "You ready?"

"Please take me home, sir," I smile sweetly. One would think I'm hallucinating but I swear his leaf green eyes turn a darker, dangerous shade. He stares at me for few seconds before turning away and leaving the car park. Soft music plays on the radio. Something about driving with Reign made me feel safe. His truck was big, but with Reign in it, it felt like there wasn't enough safe in the world. His presence was powerful.

"This isn't the way home," I say after he takes more than one detour.

"I know," is all he replies.

"Sure. Be all mysterious," I smirked.

"I gotta get some food in you, Peach. As cute as you are, I can't have you going to sleep hangry," Royalty smirks at my open mouth.

"Are you suggesting that—."