c h a p t e r . e i g h t

REIGN

Flashback to Year 2 of University...

"I'm getting a sugar daddy."

I choke on my water the moment Royalty gets into the truck. I've heard a lot of crazy things come out of this woman's mouth in the past, but this one beats them all.

"Pardon?" I cleared my throat. My lips tipped up a little when she gives me a mischievous side eye. I have a day off today and tomorrow so I decided to pick her up. Her company was the warmest thing I've ever experienced. Her smiles made me feel safe. Her advice made the world make sense.

"You've never had those moments where you think about what you would do if school or work didn't pan out?"

I turned to face her. "So a sugar daddy was your first option?" I snort. Royal sighs almost whimsically and sinks into her seat. She has a loopy and might I say delusional smile on her face. "Just picture it, big guy. No school, no biology exams. All the bills paid."

"What if he wants sugar, baby?"

"Not the point, Reign," she giggles and I smile. I know she's stressed and joking around tends to ease her stress of the day. "Did you ever have days like that?"

"Yeah," I leaned back into my seat. Med school was hard. I remember days I wanted to give up and say to hell with it.

"What was your delusional alternative?" she asks with so much curiosity in her eyes.

I can't believe I'm about to say this.

"A stripper."

This time it's her turn to choke. Her strangled choke turns into a loud laugh. Royal doubles over the console in laughter with uncontrollable giggles. "Reign," she sobs. Her fluffy curls rest on my jersey. "No," she wipes the tears from her eyes and I can't help but laugh with her.

It's like I have an out of body experience every time I see her laugh.

My peach.

"Did you—," she gasps. "Oh God. Did you ever try? Out of genuine curiosity. Be honest," her laughs turns into soft giggles. Her head somehow ended up on my shoulder. Those big, gorgeous eyes stare up at me. I bit my lip, completely absorbed by her.

Our faces were so close that if I dared to move an inch, we'd be kissing. I could ghost my lips across hers right now. Her lips were a little glossy still. I catch her tongue darting across her bottom lip. Glossy, soft, and so sweet.

"Maybe," I tipped her chin up a little. My eyes zoned onto her lips. I tortured myself and her by leaning in a little. "Maybe not. You'll never know." Her laughter came to complete stop, leaving her with a heaving chest and electric silence between us. "Right, moving along. Food and then your exam prep for tomorrow."

Peach🍑: on my way.

Me: I'm out front.

Five minutes later, I see Royalty walk out the main hall with a big smile on her face. What makes my smile drop though is the giddy little puppy that's following her around.

How old is this guy?

He looks like prep-school personified with his baby blue polo and khaki pants that don't even meet his knees.

He rests a hand on Royal's lower back and the beast in my chest roars. Why is he touching her? I waste no time in jumping out of my truck and striding over to her. Royal sees me and the way her eyes light up makes me want to scowl at Pretty Boy. I bet his name is Brad or Jake or Toby. "Reign!" Royalty jumps into my arms when she gets close enough— Pretty Boy forgotten. I can feel the happiness beaming out of her.

I catch her and lift her to my chest. "Hi sweetheart," I placed her back down on her feet. "How was the exam?"

"It was—."

"It was great. Definitely got an A," Pretty Boy speaks up. He rests a hand on her shoulder and I send it a menacing glare.

If you don't move your f*cking hand off of her shoulder, I will disconnect it from your body with one swing of my favourite knife.

I pull Royal over to me, wrapping my arm securely around her waist. I felt the way her body curved under my hand. She curls into my chest a little, probably hoping I don't pick up on it. But I do. I breathe in her scent. Ignoring Pretty Boy, I bury my face into her neck and say soft enough only for her to hear. "That smile is mine, peach. No one else gets to have it." I hear her take a sharp breath before turning my attention to Pretty Boy. "And you are?" His eyes are trained on my arm around Royalty. His jaw ticks before he looks me in the eyes. I smirked.

"Tobias," he finally answers. So close.

"Hmm," I only hummed. "Well, we'll be off now. Bye Toby," I purposely say his name wrong.

"It's Tobias!" he yells back.I had no interest in knowing anything about him once he didn't make a move on my girl. Royalty must tell I want to cause him bodily harm because she suddenly bids Toby goodbye and drags me away. I place her in the truck. When I buckle in my seatbelt, I feel her eyes on me. I decide to bite the bullet and look over at her. She's close to laughter. "What?"

Royalty giggles like I said the world's funniest joke. "What was that?"

"What was what?" I grumbled like an upset child.

"'Bye Toby!'" She attempts to mock me and fails gracefully.

"Isn't that his name?" I ask, feigning confusion. I'm focusing on the cars passing but my brain and ears are attuned to her. Royalty giggles.

"Sure, Reign. He was harmless."

"Whatever you say, peach," I say.