Chapter 42: The Banished, One

Nearing the Athenaeum, Punkin shouts out to Cer behind her. "Daddy, our house is gone! Nin ate it!"

Shouting back towards Punkin, Cer reassures her. "It's okay. It was a price worth paying for our friend. Nin was freed from the demons that haunted her, thanks to you.."

Shouting back to both Cer and Punkin, Eowyn raises her fist to bring them to a halt in front of the Athenaeum doors. "Record time huh? Ports don't count. What, it took maybe 2-3 hours. Faster than Kala's husk of a bee bike."

Rumbling, the earth shifts, compresses, rises, and forms into large rocks from fused dirt and pebbles. Arching over them, a golem like figure hovers like a sentinel guarding the Athenaeum. "Master of darkness and Mistress of Gaia. Welcome home to the heart of Haeven. It has been so long, friends... May I hug you?"

Climbing off their horses, both Cer and Eowyn genuflect down on one knee with their hands touching their hands to their chests and their brows before lifting their hands to the figure.

Touching her hand to the ground, Eowyn whispers. "I know you felt us coming, then you feel what aches lie in my heart. Is Arwyn home?"

Beckoning Cer and Eowyn to rise, the rock figure bows in return and hums in response reverberating through the air like coarse rock grinding but soft and warm. "She left long ago. The ghosts of our pasts still remain in the halls of her housing. I hope you find what you seek. Any word from our furry friends of the tower?"

Jumping off her horse, Punkin darts towards the rock figure and jumps up to cling to its leg like hugging a long lost friend before Cer or Eowyn could respond. "Amataeson! You are so big!!! I can smell you! Is Kala with you again?"

Responding, Amataeson grumbles a smile "No, young master of light. Kala is not here in Haeven. I cannot feel her. I feel all who come and go. I cannot stay here too long, I must move back towards the tree to hide what is left. The land is almost empty now. I am sorry. In my despair, I failed my promise. I will not fail again"

Climbing up Amataeson, Punkin reaches towards a purple glow in Amataeson's chest. "Pretty! Can I keep that?"

Gently peeling Punkin off, Amataeson offers a rumbling but warm chuckle. "Pupu, young witch, you had my heart the moment we met, but there is another who owns it and holds it even though you see it in my chest. There it must stay, there it will remain to keep you all safe as promised."

Beginning to turn to walk away, Amataeson hums a low rumble of sadness and guilt as he slumps away.

Feeling the sadness and shame in Amataeson's aura, Cer touches the ground and offers comfort as Amataeson trudges away. "My dear rock troll. I would not lie to you, we are familiar. The Mehti Gahmeers are safe. Kali and Cherub are safe and okay. We must grieve our failings before we can fulfill old promises."

Feeling Amataeson's tension release as he sighs, Cer continues to offer comfort. "Kali informed me of the battle with a Legion. She did not get a chance to say goodbye, but she saved Haeven from the first recent attack and is proud of you for all you've held for so long. She should be in the Mecca now. So she is safe. Even you cannot feel her."

Turning back with relief, Amataeson smiles at Cer as he clasps the purple glow in his chest. "I can always feel her presence, even when I cannot feel her presently. Thank you for assuring me she is safe. I will go and hold my post and await her return. I can only hide Haeven's presence. Without her bubble, we can't keep danger out. Go do what you must quickly, so we can rebuild what has been destroyed."

Standing up to enter the Athenaeum, Cer and Eowyn kiss their hands and touch the ground to offer their loving parting. "We will be in good company again. This next time, we will not wait so long to visit."