Chapter 5: The Hags' Lessons

Happy Eostre!! It's April 17 in East Coast so here you go!

Back at The Apiary, Kala playfully spends time with Punkin while teaching about herbology by showing flowers, nuts, berries, and leaf shapes, "...nuts, leaves or roots, know what to look for... hedera helix... shepherdia argentea... sometimes we use roots and bulbs which are these small things. Other times we boil leaves, smash, or rub them. Then there are flowers which we can boil too..."

Intrigued by the pretty flowers, Punkin starts reaching for a purple flower "Oooh it's so pretty, can I have it?"

"Yes you can my dear, it looks pretty on you and matches your hair. Just make sure to not rub your eyes after touching it."

"Can we eat these?" Punkin asks as she smells the flowers and nuts displayed on the table.

Responding warmly, Kala looks Punkin in the eyes, "We do not eat anything I show you right now. They will kill you. They are also bad for all the fish and animals that live in water... so please be careful not to use it near water."

"Then, what will we use these for?" Punkin asks as she tosses the flowers and nuts in the air, just to watch them fall.

"I will teach you how to make the best and strongest bubbles ever. This is what your mother taught me and I will teach it to you."

"You knew my mommy?" Punkin asks with deep curiosity and earnestness.

"Yes I did, and I loved her like a sister. I still know her, and will always love her." Kala responds softly as she looks off into the distance.

"I am mad at her...I don't love her" pouts Punkin, breaking Kala's pensive moment.

Sighing, Kala responds with a consoling smile, "My darling, you can be mad at people and still love them."

"Do you get mad at me?" Punkin asks, with a bit of confusion.

"Yes, sometimes, and I will always love you more than I can ever be mad at you." responds Kala as she picks Punkin up onto her lap.

Leaning in to touch her forehead to Punkin's forehead, Kala raises an eyebrow, and inquires "So why are you mad at your mother anyway?"

"She left me and never came back. She forgot about me." pouts Punkin.

Chuckling warmly, Kala reassures Punkin, "Nobody can ever forget about you. Your mother would never leave you if she never had to."

With tears forming in her eyes and a quivering voice, Punkin asks, "How do you know?"

Holding Punkin tightly in an embrace, Kala responds "Because she loved you more than life itself..."

Pulling out a vial and catching Punkin's tears as they begin to slide down her cheeks, Kala points to Punkin's heart to reassure Punkin, "You feel that ache and pain there? That's her saying she misses you too and she will always be a part of you."

Nodding in understanding, Punkin embraces Kala tightly and begins falling asleep in Kala's arms as Kala hums a soft tune.

                                                                                         -break-

Waking up in bed without Kala in sight, Punkin begins looking around frantically. Panicking, Punkin jumps out of bed and runs out of the house crying and yelling, "Baaaabbaaaaaa!!!"