Desperate Times and Measures

Anna and Daniel raced back into town as fast as they could to avoid being spotted by Sampson. They both knew that they had to warn Elijah and fast, there was no time to race.

Upon reaching the outskirts of town they shifted to their human forms and dashed down the flight of stairs. When they found their way back into town they were just able to see Fr. Charles and Kit walking away from a small crowd of people who were gossipping. They slipped among them as seamlessly as they could to hear what people were saying.

"I saw that boy at Candlefest," One old lady recalled. "I knew he was bad news right then and there."

"And to think Fr. Charles let Kit spend time with him?" An old man commented.

"I heard he had ties to the mafia," Another onlooker added.

Anna and Daniel shared a knowing look. Elijah was not among the people, but something had happened that night and something bad. As the group of people began to disperse, heading back into the pub or into their homes and off the street, Daniel stuck his nose up into the air to sniff once again.

"Can you smell him?" Anna asked.

Daniel only nodded and began walking quickly. Anna knew enough to follow him and took off likewise walking down the street. After the people left, everything was eerily quiet and it was a little frightening to be so startlingly alone on the streets of Belford.

Daniel led Anna to a small brick building next to the larger Victorian style town hall structure with a small hanging sign that read "Sheriff's Office."

"The sheriff?" Anna asked, a look of shock crossing her face. "What could he possibly have done to have gotten himself mixed up with that?

"I dunno," Daniel shrugged. "But it sure as hell isn't good."

"What should we do?" Anna asked. "Should we go talk to him?"

Daniel shook his head quickly. "He isn't alone in there."

"Do we wait here for the night then?"

"No," Daniel frowned. "If Sampson does come tonight, Elijah can protect himself. It's Kit we've got to worry about. Elijah's scent must be all over him after tonight."

"What do you suggest we do?"

"We surround his house," Daniel answered nonchalantly. "We man the exits and entrances. Nobody goes in or out without us knowing, not until we can be sure that Sampson has been neutralized."

Anna nodded in understanding. Things were about to get much more complicated for them.

....

Daniel and Anna spent the night exactly as they intended, but when the Sheriff came out the next morning and freed a different dark haired boy before going on patrol, they knew one of them ought to go update Elijah and figure out what the plan was.

Daniel insisted it be Anna, who was the weaker of the two wolves and would be less able to defend Kit from any wolves that might wish him harm.

"Alpha?" Anna asked, once she'd managed to pick the lock on the door. Instantly Elijah was standing at the bars with a look of deep concern on his face.

"What's happened?" He asked. "Something's wrong. I can sense it."

Anna looked around at the dank jail cell and felt a pang of sadness for her Alpha. Wolves were fiercely loyal and she didn't like seeing him so broken down.

"It's Sampson."

"Sampson?" Elijah asked. His eyes filled with deep, non-self serving fear. Elijah wasn't afraid of Sampson on his own, but now he had a vulnerable mate to worry about and that changed things quite a bit. "Are you sure? Where?"

"Daniel was certain. We saw him and another wolf from the pack about a mile from town yesterday night." Anna stepped closer to the bars. "I take it from the look on your face that he's not just coming for a visit to get an update on your love life."

"No." Elijah shook his head. "I don't think that he is."

"What happened to get you stuck here?"

"That's not important," Elijah grunted. "What's really important is that we warn Kit."

"What do you mean warn Kit?" Anna asked. "We can't warn Kit without—-"

"I know." Elijah agreed. "But desperate times call for desperate measures. It's time."

"How should we....?"

"No... It's got to come from me. That's the only way it will make sense," Elijah ran a hand through his hair. "Will you do me a favor?"