Caught

Damien and Kit picked their way over the uneven wet terrain of the woods. Kit's mind remained firmly on the wolf, and as such he was a little disoriented. Damien, who didn't know his own way, would give Kit a harsh nudge to kick him back into action whenever he got too distracted.

It bothered Kit a little bit but he held it in because if Damien hadn't scared the wolf away from him, he might have been in much worse shape than just a cut on the back of his head.

The old trees stretched high into the sky, but they blocked little of the rain that continued to fall. It had lessened considerably as they started walking, but it was still uncomfortable every time a cold drop landed on Kit's face. 

"Are we there yet?" Damien whined. Despite being far more physically fit than Kit, Damien was not used to walking as much and felt exhausted.

"No." Kit answered. Following that, the conversation fizzled. "So... how come Fr. Charles sent you?" He attempted.

"I was on break," Damien grumbled. "It's over by now. And Fr. Charles and my dad are friends."

"I'm sorry about your break."

"I hope so. I was meant to be spending it with Julie. She probably thinks I've ditched her, thanks to you."

The boy fell silent, mumbling a small apology. Kit wanted to say he didn't need Damien and hadn't asked the boy to come, but the cut on the back of his head begged to differ. Still Damien would be no help in getting Kit home, and probably would have gotten lost himself given the chance. 

"We must have seen a million pine trees," Damien said after a moment of silence.

"Maple trees," Kit corrected, before realizing that might appear rude. "I think..."

"That's what I said."

As Damien entered yet another rant, Kit looked back once again. He wasn't quite sure what he was hoping to see. If there'd been a wolf following them he certainly would have heard it, and yet his mind insisted he look back every few strides.

Damien seemed pretty certain that Kit was imagining the wolf, but Kit tried to remain resolute. He didn't want to believe his mind was weak enough to fall to the foolishness of not even being able to distinguish reality from a day-dream, but nothing else made sense.

Animals couldn't move that fast. They couldn't flee that quietly.

Something, a very large something, told Kit that it was real. That he'd felt the breath on his cheeks, and smelled the earthen scent of a wild being.

"This was my one chance to move to the next level with Julie and..."

"I'm sorry I got in the way of you and Julie, it won't happen again."

"It better not," Damien spat. He appeared to think better of it and calmed himself down. "Thank you."

"Of course," Kit blocked his small smile by pushing forward. Damien had a way of being cruel to him, but Kit still always sought his approval and was glad to be asked for help.

"Are you going to the festival tonight."

"Hopefully..." Kit mumbled, brushing the back of his head. Fr. Charles could be over protective and he worried he might not be able to go if he was in trouble. "You are?"

Damien nodded without adding another word. Part of Kit longed to be invited just once to join Damien and his friends, but he knew it was foolish to hope for something like that. Damien would never see him as anything more than annoying kid brother. 

"We're almost out," Kit explained. He could tell they were close to being out of the woods just by the pattern of the trees and the way the salty scent of sea air was beginning to permeate the more grounded wooden aromas.