a date to remember

Althea walks alone to school, for the first time since she moved to Canada. Benny, Rory, and Ethan had to go to school early for some nerd thing. The Monday morning sun rises as she walks.

She sighs, kicking leaves with each step as she walks. She doesn't like walking alone in this town. It is boring. It freaks her out too. It's to quiet, makes her feel like something's wrong. She loved walking to school in the city. She felt safe. She loved to watch people. She liked to feel like she was seen. She feels the most in danger alone. Like someone is lurking. Probably because she grew up in a big city.

Althea walks quickly, arriving to school sooner than she does when she has to walk with Benny and Ethan. A smile comes across her face as she sees the three boys walking towards her locker, laughing together. She likes to see them hanging out with Rory. She knows how much it hurts Rory when they exclude them.

"Hey, A." Rory smiles at his girlfriend.

"Hi." Her smile widens as she looks up at him. She looks over to her brother and friend, smiling in the same way to cover herself up. "How was your nerd club?" She teases.

"NOT a nerd club." Benny insists. "Robotics club." He specifies, pulling a giggle from her lips. Rory looks down at her, his eyes scanning her face and a large smile pulling at his lips at the sounds of her laughter.

"What's the difference?" She questions and Ethan frowns.

"Why are you so mean to us?" Ethan half jokingly complains.

"Aww." She coos teasingly. "Poor dorks." She smiles and he rolls his eyes, pushing Althea.

"Ok, ok, enough. We gotta get to class." Benny says and walks off with Ethan, causing Althea to smile that they unknowingly left her alone with Rory.

"Walk me to class?" She looks up at him, her eyelashes fluttering. A smile comes across his face.

"Of course, baby." He says and starts to walk towards their shared first period class. She looks around and grabs his hand when she sees nobody.

"So... when are we gonna go on that date?"

"Baby... I'm so busy this week." He frowns. "We're building for Robot Rumble all week." She sighs and dramatically throws her head back.

"When is it?" She questions, wondering when she's gonna get her friend, boyfriend, and brother back.

"Saturday." She smiles, knowing she just has to make it through the week. "Are you doing anything Sunday?" She asks, looking up at him hopefully.

"No." He smiles along with him. "Besides taking you to dinner." He smirks and she beams up at him. "As long as that's ok with you." She giggles and nods excitedly.

***

Althea walks quickly to the tech room, knowing the Robotics meeting is supposed to be done soon. They were supposed to leave in 5 minutes for the battle and Althea decided she wanted to go with them. It's Saturday and she hasn't hung out with Rory in a week. She lives with Benny so she doesn't really miss him that much but Ethan and Rory... god she missed them. She walks into the classroom to see Benny, Ethan, Rory, and their teacher/club advisor all huddled around a robot. Grayson sits a couple feet away on his computer. Wires connect his computer to the robot and it's clear he's checking the coding or something as the boys all encourage him when the robot makes a sudden movement. She smiles at the sight. They're nerds, but they're her nerds. They seem so happy. Althea can't believe they still haven't noticed her considering she's now standing right behind Grayson.

"Hey, Grayson." She leans in and whispers to him. The red haired boy jumps, a gasp coming from his lips. He holds his chest as if he has been shot.