blood drive

Althea, Benny, and Ethan walk down the hallway together, watching as boys all push past them, heading in the same direction.

"What's going on today and why is everyone acting like they're giving out free iPhones in the cafeteria?" Althea asks as a boy pushes past her, almost knocking her to the ground.

"Blood drive." Benny smirks and Althea looks at her brother like he's crazy.

"Yah, that explains it." She says sarcastically.

"Every year we have a blood drive and every year the nurses are crazy hot." Ethan explains and Althea makes a face.

"And we're checking it out." Benny says, walking a little faster towards the cafeteria.

"You're an idiot." Althea says causing Benny to roll his eyes. Once the group starts to get close, Althea is hit with this overwhelming scent of fresh blood. It fills the hallway, getting more and more intense as they approach the cafeteria. They're almost there and the wave of scent is so shocking she stops in her tracks, feeling her fangs poking out in her mouth.

"Thea, you good?" Benny asks, putting his hand on her shoulder, snapping her out of it. She blinks a couple times and looks over at him.

"Y-yah." She says, feeling her fangs retract back into her mouth. "It just smells... good." She mumbles the last part.

"Oh." Benny says, understanding what she means.

"Maybe going isn't the best idea." Ethan looks at his friend, who hasn't drank fresh human blood since she turned.

"No. No. I-I'm fine. I just wasn't expecting it is all." She says, seeming much more normal now that she has adjusted to the scent.

"You sure?" Benny asks his sister who nods.

"Yah. I'm good. Promise." She says and they reluctantly nod, walking over to the blood drive. They have to push through a crowd of boys, all waiting in line just to get in the doorway.

"Look at this. It's like opening day for Revenge of the Sith all aver again. Just, you know, minus the stormtroopers." Benny says, looking around at the huge crowd.

"I'm gonna assume that's nerd for big crowd." Althea smiles mockingly at her brother, who's smile falls at the comment.

"My mom thinks I should donate. She says my blood is special." Benny and Althea look over to Ethan, who looks at the nurses fearfully. "I think that's exactly why I should keep it where it belongs, in my veins."

"Dude, she has to say your blood is special, she's your mom. It's her blood to." Althea tells him and he sighs.

"The reason you don't give blood is because you're scared of needles, chicken." Benny says and Althea snaps, pointing at her brother in agreement.

"I'm not afraid. I just don't like them." Ethan defends.

"Right, the same way you don't like the commercial with the dancing crackers?" Benny imitates the dance. "It freaks you out."

"It does not, okay. I'm just uncomfortable with eating things that dance." He says.

"Dude, you're scared of the cracker commercial?" Althea laughs teasingly.

"Benny, I told you not to say anything. She already makes fun of me for everything. You're just giving her fuel." They boys look to the girl who smiles at the thought of Ethan freaking out over the advertisement. "Plus, I don't see you rushing to donate." He says to Benny.

"Uh, yeah, they can lift your entire genetic code from one drop. What if someone cloned me?" Benny says.

"Who in their right minds would want a second you running around? I've been trying to get rid of the first you for fifteen years." She says and he pushes her.