cubile animus

Althea didn't sleep last night. Not for a single moment. She walks through the school like a zombie, following her brother and best friend. She sits at her locker while they talk at Ethan's and she can't help but listen. It's clear they're talking about her by the way they glance up at her every time they think she's looking away.

"Is she ok?" Ethan asks Benny.

"I don't know man. She seemed pretty freaked out yesterday. She said that she was the same thing as what killed Rory. It didn't even seem like she was talking about herself like she was a person anymore. She didn't talk much else at all." He says to his friend who just sighs. She stands up and walks over to them. They walk out of the school into the courtyard where they look for the large group of vampires.

"Guys!!" The easily recognizable voice makes Althea's head shoot up. When she sees him alive she almost starts crying. He's ok.

"Rory?" Her weak voice is barely audible.

"Wazzzzzuuuuppp?" He yells as he walks out of the group of vampires and over to the three teenagers. Once he is in front of them, she wraps her arms around him. He embraces her in a hug, not exactly sure why she's hugging him but still extremely excited about it.

"Rory your... we thought you were dead." Ethan says.

"You were dead." She whispers. He lets go of her and she just steps back and looks at him. He looks even better than he did before, she wasn't sure if that was possible. His hair flips out and his regular glasses have been replaced by wrap around shades. He stands in a a chain with a cute smile on his face. Butterflies dance in her stomach at the sight of him.

"All I know is I woke up the morning after the party feeling awesome! No asthma, I don't need my glasses, and I barely sleep anymore." Rory seems excited about the last part in a stark contrast to Althea's opinion on the matter. "The only problem is the sun. You get it." He points to Althea. He looks up and she follows his eyes line. It stings but she's not bursting in flames. It hurts for sure but she's not wearing sun glasses or long sleeves and she's fine.

"So you're a fledgling too?" Benny questions.

"Hell no! I'm rocking the full on vampire action dude! The big V." He makes a V with his fingers. "Can I get a what-what!" He holds his hand out for a high five.

"What? You drank human blood?" Ethan questions.

"They said if I didn't I'd die. All the other kids were doing it!" He defends. "Speaking of which, the other vampires want to know when your gonna complete your transformation. That's why they sent me over here. Gord is like OBSESSED." He speaks to Althea. Everyone's eyes are now on her.

"Do you have any idea what you've just done to yourself?" Benny questions, knowing she doesn't want to talk about it.

"I'm immortal and all powerful dude! You should really hop on the train." He smiles excitedly. Everyone looks over to the group of vampires who are now standing there waiting for Rory.

"Sorry I gotta go to church." He points over to the group.

"Church? Vampires don't do church." Ethan says.

"Jesse says we have to." Rory's mood immediately changes. He seems bored with Jesse's ramblings. "He's so bossy he's all bla bla bla the prophecy and bla bla bla you must find the cuban animals or something."

"Cuban animals?" The three question Rory's information.

"What are you talking about?" Benny asks him a little too harshly.