Chapter 24-Extra2

During the last class in the afternoon, the sky suddenly darkened. The loud thunder caused a disturbance in the class. The teacher slapped the desk, quieting everybody down.
Five minutes later, it started to rain. The dark clouds stretched across the sky, and the sound of the pouring rain covered the teacher's voice.
Chen Dong Lan didn't bring an umbrella. Lowering his head to look, he had on a pair of canvas shoes.
When the bell sounded, the students did what was needed: borrowing umbrellas or calling their parents. Chen Dong Lan considered whether or not to buy an umbrella. But looking at the heaviness of the rain, he would be drenched before reaching the shop so he decided to give up on the
idea.

In front of the school building, he took off his school jacket, covered his head and was about to run into the rain when he heard someone calling from behind. "Wait."
He turned his head. It was Yuan Yuan.
Yuan Yuan was holding a long-handled umbrella. He looked at his face to the school jacket over his head, then back to his face. "Chen Dong Lan, you didn't bring an umbrella?"

Chen Dong Lan's inexplicable nervousness kept him holding the school jacket over his head. He said, "Yes, I didn't think it would rain today."
Yuan Yuan nodded and opened the umbrella. "Let's walk together. I remember meeting you in the metro. We take the same train, right?"
Chen Dong Lan nodded and put down his jacket, asking doubtfully, "You're not playing basketball?"
Although it was raining, the indoor gymnasium was open.
Yuan Yuan didn't hear him clearly. "What?"
Chen Dong Lan shook his head. "Never mind."
Yuan Yuan didn't ask again. He held up the umbrella, took a step down the school building stairs and brought the umbrella closer to the fringe of the eaves. He said to Chen Dong Lan, "Come on."
Chen Dong Lan's heart was beating very fast and his body felt considerably lighter. He walked under the umbrella and bumped into Yuan Yuan's shoulder. "Thank you...Do you want me to hold the umbrella?"
Yuan Yuan compared their heights. "I'm taller than you, so I'll do it."
Chen Dong Lan didn't say a word.
The two of them walked forward. Accumulated water covered his feet, and the cool feeling calmed him down.

Bewildered, Yuan Yuan turned but didn't feel Chen Dong Lan beside him.
They hugged each other every night before sleeping. Although they would separate in their sleep, they would always stick together, being able to touch each other with a slight stretch of a hand.
Yuan Yuan woke up at once. The room was black and it obviously wasn't time to get up. He turned on the light and propped himself up to gauge the situation. Not only was Chen Dong Lan not on the bed, he wasn't in
the room either.
"Chen Dong Lan?"
No response.
He turned to get out of bed. Without putting on his shoes, he walked barefooted into the bathroom. There was nobody there.
He exited the room, but there was nobody in the living room, dining room or kitchen. He grabbed at his hair, deeply worried.
He went towards the balcony, nearly running, and opened the door with a bang. What he saw was the back of Chen Dong Lan, who was leaning against the railings.
His heart settled back heavily.
He walked up and wrapped Chen Dong Lan in his arms from behind, grumbling, "Why are you out here in the middle of the night exposed to the cold wind? You gave me a scare."
Chen Dong Lan moved and turned his head to look at him. "Why are you awake? Did I affect you?"
Chen Dong Lan's shoulders were cold, showing that he had already been there for some time. Yuan Yuan used his hands to warm him, at the same time saying, "Yes, when you're not beside me, the impact is huge."
Chen Dong Lan turned and buried himself in his embrace. "I'm sorry."
Yuan Yuan kissed his forehead. "What happened? A nightmare?"
"No." Chen Dong Lan looked across his shoulder, vaguely seeing the warm lights of the master bedroom.
"I just.." he said, "had a good dream."