Chapter 1

Yuan Yuan was about to get off work when his colleague Yu Lin called out, "You haven't forgotten about tonight's dinner gathering right?"

Yuan Yuan's table was a bit messy, and he was busily tidying it. Without lifting his head, he answered, "I remember."

Yu Lin was speechless. This clearly showed that he had forgotten. He didn't intend to let Yuan Yuan off, "Tonight at seven, same old place. It was agreed when that case concluded yesterday that not a single person can miss it."

Yuan Yuan lifted his hand to look at his watch and frowned, "I have something going on. Why don't we do this: you tell them that I'll be slightly late, then, when everyone is in high spirits, no one will remember."

Yu Lin found it strange. "Who are you meeting, your girlfriend or your parents?" As far as he remembered, Yuan Yuan never hurried just because he was meeting someone.

"It's my birthday today. Chen Dong Lan said that he would prepare a meal for me at home. He got home but forgot to buy leek and wants me to get some for him on the way home." Saying that, he hastily put on his coat. "I have to go. Any later and I might not be able to buy it."

Yu Lin stared blankly, then immediately smacked himself on the head, "I was so busy I forgot that it's your birthday today!"

He had a "Brother, l've let you down" expression on his face.

Yuan Yuan laughed, "I don't lack your blessing."
Driving away from the car park, Yuan Yuan made a beeline for the supermarket to buy leek.

Chen Dong Lan, the one who wanted to prepare a meal for him to celebrate his birthday, was his roommate.

Speaking of which, Chen Dong Lan and his fate was quite deep. The two of them were college friends and both of them had joined the school debate team. Before that, they were from the same city, the same high school, and were even junior high school classmates.

Before college, Yuan Yuan did not know Chen Dong Lan very well and had just a vague impression, not even able to match his name to his face.

He only got well acquainted with this taciturn and introverted old classmate after interacting within the debate team.

Because Chen Dong Lan had to repeat his studies, he was a year below Yuan Yuan. When Chen Dong Lan graduated and was looking for a place to rent, the person who had been co-renting with Yuan Yuan was coincidentally moving away. He then naturally invited Chen Dong Lan to stay with him.

Very naturally, they had become roommates for three years.

When he came home with the leek, Chen Dong Lan was in the kitchen chopping vegetables, the sound of chopping was very crisp.

Outside every breath became a fog but the air-conditioner was turned on in the house, so it was very warm. Yuan Yuan's cotton slippers had been retrieved earlier from the shoe rack by someone and were placed at the door for him to conveniently slip his feet into.

Yuan Yuan walked into the kitchen, and Chen Dong Lan happened to turn around. He didn't put down the knife and, with both hands wet, said, "You bought too much leek."

"Ah?" Yuan Yuan lifted up the bag for a look, "I was afraid it would be too little."

Chen Dong Lan nodded, put down the knife and took the leek with both hands.
Yuan Yuan suddenly released a breath.

Just now, he actually had a type of feeling, like he had done something wrong and was afraid to be scolded. Later on realising that he didn't get scolded, the fluke of a new lease of life leapt up from his heart.

?

Unable to make head or tail of it, he walked to his room and changed into something convenient, then returned to the kitchen.