Chapter 9

Yuan Yuan ignored him.

In the middle of the night, there weren't many people in the hospital. It was only them in the lounge. The television was on, but it was showing only night commercials. Neither of them spoke and just stared at the television.

Chen Dong Lan didn't dare to speak to Yuan Yuan. After the anchorwoman on the television introduced him to the magical effects of slimming tea for the fifth time, Chen Dong Lan turned to look at Yuan Yuan and found that he had fallen asleep.

Chen Dong Lan stood up quietly, pushed the drip stand to the nurses station and asked the nurse for a blanket. Coming back, he used one hand to lay it on Yuan Yuan's body with difficulty.

Chen Dong Lan felt that he was a greedy person. Previously, during Chinese New Year or other holidays, he would wish for the protection of Yuan Yuan's health and that he would be free from diseases and disasters. But now, he hoped for this himself as well. If he could get along smoothly, then Yuan Yuan wouldn't need to worry about such an unlucky friend.

He was absorbed in watching Yuan Yuan and didn't realise when the drip had finished. He felt a little pain on his hand and found that some blood had flowed into the bag.

While he looked for a nurse to pull out the needle, Yuan Yuan was still asleep. Chen Dong Lan didn't want to wake him so quickly, but the hospital chair wasn't comfortable, and he might experience shoulder and back pains after a long sleep, so he decided to wake him.

Yuan Yuan was in a light sleep and opened his eyes. "Done with the drip?" He realised there was a blanket on his body and showed a look of exasperation.

"The clothes I'm wearing are very thick, but you're only wearing pajamas and a coat. Why did you give me the blanket?"

Chen Dong Lan felt that it was difficult to explain, so he said casually, "I also had one. It's just that l've already returned it to the nurse."

Yuan Yuan took a deep breath. Chen Dong Lan didn't know if he had believed him.

It was now past four, but once it was bright, it would be a Sunday, and they could go back to catch up on their sleep. Chen Dong Lan didn't dare to say that he would take a taxi home and waited for Yuan Yuan's arrangement.

They carried the medicine back to the car. Chen Dong Lan didn't ask where they were going, and Yuan Yuan drove seriously without saying a word. After a few minutes, Chen Dong Lan realised that they were on the road back to the co-rented house.

He was about to ask, but Yuan Yuan said, "Before moving to the new house, you should move back."

Chen Dong Lan tilted his head and looked at Yuan Yuan's profile.
Right then, they reached a red light and the car stopped. Yuan Yuan looked over.

Late at night, the light slanted in from the street lamp, blurring the outline of Yuan Yuan's face, making it seem particularly tender.

"Okay!" Chen Dong Lan nodded repeatedly, his heart feeling tingly.

By Monday, Chen Dong Lan's fever subsided. Although he had not completely recovered from his cold, it didn't affect him going to work.

Once he stepped into the office, his colleague called out to him.
"Did something good happen to you?"

Chen Dong Lan placed his things on the table and asked, puzzled, "What?"

His colleague laughed. "You look extremely pleased." He explained patiently,

"Previously, you seemed to be very despondent...no, I'll change to a more normal description, unhinged. Your complexion was the worst of the worst.

But now, you seemed to have changed completely. Did something good happen to you?"