TWENTY-FOUR

There it was.

The itchy scratchy feeling.

His wrists burned like they were filled with cat scratches. It came in waves. He only just noticed it in the last hour as his arms began to tingle. He needed to return home and his discussion with Asmodeus was growing tedious as it was.

The Prince of lust licked his lips. His gaze shifted from the floor to his brother in a rather unamused fashion, "Who is she?"

Azazel ran his claws over his wrists, buffing the feeling out of his skin, "Does it matter?" He asked, irritated.

"Is it something I shouldn't know?"

Nothing.

"Is it something Lucifer shouldn't know?"

"Frankly, I don't think anything of mine has ever been Lucifer's business and sure as hell not yours." Azazel turned his back, glaring at the door.

"You wanted my help, remember that." Asmodeus scolded. His pinstriped suit jacket crinkled on the back of his chair when he moved, "Would you like to hear my advice?"

"No." Azazel shook his head, "You answered my questions. I'm done here."

"Love her. Truly love her." He said anyway, "Don't let your lust consume you. Your sin is not hers, no matter who she is. Don't hurt her for the sake of your flesh."

Azazel's eyes narrowed and he drew a sharp breath, "You have not known me for years, brother. Because you once knew me does not mean that my intentions now are not pure."

"Good. Then I hope that you choose to make the right choice." Asmodeus turned away again, refocusing on his paperwork.

Azazel snarled, his upper lip curling back. He hated being disrespected, especially by his younger brother. His red eyes blazed and he forced himself to walk towards the door before he stepped out of line. As soon as he grasped the doorknob, his lips betrayed his mind and spoke, "What happens after we... after?"

"After you fulfill the bond?" Asmodeus  clarified, his dark brows raised so his forehead was creased with several lines.

Azazel cringed and his face scrunched in protest to the continued conversation, "Yes."  He forced out, "Will she be safe? No more pain?"

"Azazel, you are one of seven." He said holding up his pointer finger, "This has never happened before. All I can do is guess that your allure to her is the same as faeries or harpies." If it was even real at all. The impossibility of any Fallen being mated was the only certainty they had.

"What if..." Azazel bit his lip, his gut churning with anxiety, "What if it doesn't work?"

"Whether it works or not, the counsel will need to know." Asmodeus could see the tension in his brother's shoulders. Azazel's body practically shook and the force from his clenched fist was sending waves up his arm as his muscles contracted, "However, I choose not to worry until I must. You don't know that it won't work. And if it does... I ask you not to force my hand. Tell Lucifer yourself."

Asmodeus had a point. There was no way of hiding this from not only Lucifer but the rest of the fallen. Mates were not a gift they expected and for him to find his mate after all his transgressions against the Lord was unfounded.

"We will see what happens."

~•~•~

Her white hair fell down the back of the couch, her small body snuggled in amongst the cushions and pillows. In her lap was a book and a long crochet hook in her hand. Her fingers worked nimbly, looping thread around the hook and weaving a pattern with the blue yarn.