THIRTEEN

Irina did not go back to sleep. 

She returned to her bedroom just as her father had asked but she did not fall back asleep. For hours she sat under the covers, staring at the black wall in front of her. Her eyes adjusted to the darkness, making the static in her vision lessen from fuzzy fragments into organized shapes.

It was more than just the dream keeping her mind active. The haunting memory played on a looping track inside her head, but worse than that was the aching in her heart. She felt so trapped. So alone. The confines of the four walls around her never set her free.

She wanted friends, she wanted freedom. She wanted another girl in her life that she could talk to!

It had been a while since Lilith's last visit and she did not know when or if she would ever return. Irina once questioned the woman about her relationship with Lucifer and if they were more than friends. Irina was 14 at the time and barely understood the romance novels she read, or her own anatomy.

Lilith's cheeks had turned red, competing for the color of fire in her hair. She explained their relationship was not really a relationship at all.

Lucifer was not a man to keep any woman.

Not because of wandering eyes or lust, he truly held too much pride. Inside, he did not believe himself to be a good enough man to ever be a husband. His pride stopped him from sharing a life with someone else.

Until Irina.

No matter how often his pride told him, he wasn't a good enough father to her, he fought back. He continued to try and work harder every day to give her everything and more.

Lilith knew she could never compete with her. She would never be his main priority while Irina was alive and that was okay with her. She was wild and free, just like the harpies on the mountain. She was not meant to be caged by a man, but she did appreciate their company from time to time.

Lilith did not stick around where she wasn't wanted.

That left Irina alone.

With only men surrounding her and silent shades whose genders were as ambiguous as their forms.

If she stayed here in the castle, she would never find love, get married, or have children! There had to be more! There was more! Her father proved it! The Surface was real and there were others up there, just like her!

That excited burst of passion died as she was reminded of the true reality. She would never be able to leave the castle without her father's permission and even if she could, she would never make it to The Surface.

Not on her own.

Thunder echoed outside, the rain tickling her window like the chords of a harp. Irina typically found the noise peaceful and soothing but tonight it made her want to scream! Folding her pillow around the back of her head, she covered her ears and tried to tune out the monotonous sound.

The sound of routine.

Tonight would be the end of routine.

Picking herself up, she slid from her bed and quickly dawned some more appropriate attire to be running around in the night. It was cold- freezing even as the temperatures outside continued to drop. She switched out her massive sweatshirt and nightgown for a much warmer pair of fleece tights and a sweater.