FOUR

Lucifer held his daughter's hand as he led them out into the hallway, feeling Azazel's gaze burning into his back. At the end of the day, he was fair and would listen to what Irina had to say before deciding on an appropriate punishment. Azazel would have been hasty and punished out of anger but that was simply not how Lucifer committed to raising his child- his gift.

He needed to separate them and speak with Irina alone, barely grasping the situation at all through the coded words the two were passing back and forth. It was unintentional of course, not meaning to leave him out of the loop. It was simply understanding what the other was referring to without context and responding. However, as her father, he needed to know the full story on both sides.

They were still near enough to the dining room that Azazel could hear them if he wanted to, but a comfortable distance remained.

"Now that he can't interrupt you," Lucifer began with a humorous smile, trying to turn around the sour look on Irina's face, "Why don't you tell me what happened." 

"I promise I won't ever go back there again!" Her wide eyes sang her regrets and he chuckled at her innocence.

"When I told you the west wing was off limits, what did you assume I meant?" He directed his question more clearly.

"That I couldn't go there." Her voice was soft and just like her body, tiny and frail.

"When you had all of the library to roam, why would you disobey my rules?" He asked, knowing the answer. He had been there when God gifted humans with free will and curiosity. He watched as that same gift tore them apart and away from the Lord. He himself at times fell victim to its temptatious grasp now that he had fallen.

He did not blame his sweet daughter for being curious.

Irina searched for the 'why' in her answer, carefully chewing her bottom lip in a bad habit, "You never banned me from anything before. I wanted to know why. I wanted to know what was so bad about the west wing."

Lucifer shook his head, "You know that's not true. There is plenty you have been barred from." He didn't list any examples but leaving the castle was a big one and a growing concern.

"No- but this was different." She crossed her arms, "You... you guide me, but you've never..."

She thought back to several books she had read depicting relationships between mothers and daughters and the fights they would get into. She never had that with her father. He was always kind and authoritative but fair. Whenever she was in trouble he explained why and the dangers behind her actions. Luckily, Irina was naturally a very well-mannered and behaved child, but especially when she was younger and didn't understand, he would have to help her.

"You don't get mad at me." She concluded.

"How could I?" He asked, marveling at his gift, "What have you done to deserve my anger? Did you disobey to directly undermine me?"

Her eyes widened, bulging at the idea, "No!"

Unlike God, he knew his child. She did not mean to cause harm or trouble, "I know." And she was forgiven without even asking because his love was unconditional.

"I won't go back and I didn't take anything!" She rushed out, her fingers interlocking and tugging against the tied friction. She twisted the toe of her white flats into the stone floor, her entire leg twisting with the movement, "I didn't mean to disobey you."

"I know." His warm gaze calmed her nervous fiddling and her hands fell to her sides, slapping her outer thighs.

Some may think the sight of the Devil's horns would be intimidating, but Irina found great comfort in their sleek design. It made him distinguishable among all others, knowing she would always be able to find him.