ONE

Read the prologue. It explains my version of biblical history for the sake of this story! I did my best to combine multiple accounts from different religions to explain the habits and behaviors of each character.

If you didn't read the warnings that's on you. I don't put trigger warnings

A romanticized existence certainly.

Lucifer held dominion over the underworld and all the residents within its layers. He could bend the will of any object and distort its mass to create castles from nothing and send beasts to the depths of the valley of tortured souls.

Two thousand long years of listening to the pleas of the guilty and even longer before that bowing to the will of a merciless god. How the darkness had changed him, both relieving him of his responsibilities but also piling him high with guilt.

Lucifer liked to pretend he made the right choice to disobey God and seek out revenge against his father. He liked to pretend the darkness was safe, allowing him to create a world tethered to his fingertips but there was an element of life every demon yearned for.

Love.

Not lust- as Asmodeus so adamantly liked to demand it was.

No, love was to care for another person beyond one's self. A feeling that was rarely if not ever reciprocated among the damned. Lucifer of course knew how to love and he had loved.

Deeply and greatly.

But that love only severed all he held dear and dropped him into a pit of his own pride. Selfish and alone he would remain for the rest of eternity as punishment for speaking against the word of the Great Creator.

Lucifer wandered the halls of his magnificent castle, his fine dress shoes clicking along the marble floors. The castle was built to hold the lives of each of the seven princes and for a time it did. All of the fallen remained under this singular roof and met in the throne room each day to plan how they were to rule a kingdom of the uncontrollable.

Nearly 300 years of this went on until one by one as each prince discovered their own meaningful task to serve the underworld, and left. For the most part, each fallen was spread out around the underworld, watching out for their respective sectors. The only two remaining within the castle were Lucifer and his brother Azazel.

Reaching the large throne room, the once bustling wing had become a place of solitude for the two brothers, as they passed the time. The seven thrones sat in a large circle surrounding a raised platform, where a speaker may present their case before the Princes. This room had not been used for such manners since the court of flies was created, but it remained anyway.

The King slipped his midnight black coat from his broad shoulders, his wings folded out of the way and took his respective seat in the circle. To no surprise of his own, Azazel was already there lounging on the throne beside him, casually playing with his long black talons.

When God created Azazel, he used the light of Lucifer to awaken his soul and bring forth another great warrior. He inherited the same pride as his brother and the devious and dangerous charm he possessed. Their beauty was unmatched, nearly twins if there ever was such a thing among angels.

He had been happy in Heaven and on The Surface, helping his people. His heart was full and content.

It wasn't until he had fallen that Azazel grew tired and worn. He grieved in the pits of the underworld alone for a time, begging the Lord for his forgiveness. His faults were known among the humans by then and with each changing of the seasons a sacrifice would be made to him to end the sins within their communities.