Heart of the matter

(A special Valentine's Day treat for all my followers out there in appreciation for all their patience and steadfast support.)

After his discussion with Hound, Drift activated his holo-avatar and wondered off to a private spot in the cathedral where he attempted to do some mediation to calm himself down—only to find his processor plagued with thoughts of Penelope once more.

Realizing it was a lost cause to even pretend to ignore his emotional conflict, Drift gave up on mediation altogether and instead resigned himself to simply sitting down on his haunches. Never in his wildest dreams did he ever believe that he would find love! And with Sensei's adoptive human niece to boot!

Now that isn't to say Drift loathed the idea of being in a romantic relationship per say. The actual problem was that he never had the best luck in finding the right partner. He recalled all those countless times when Knucklehead would attempt to hook him up with a femme, and while his friend had only the best intention in his processor, none of the femmes he'd paired up Drift with ever worked out.

Most of them were only seemed interested in having one night stands with him which frankly in Drift's — or more correctly Deadlock's— opinion wasn't something he was remotely comfortable with. Especially since according to Starscream he'd been one of the most popular cons in the ranks. As a result every single matchmaking attempt always ended up in a spectacular  disaster!

In his icy Deadlock persona he easily shrugged off his lack of love life as being nothing worth any significance to him and even went so far so to erect towering walls around his aching spark to protect himself from further pain.

Unfortunately however his spark-ache only worsened after he defected to the autobots' as rightful birth name Drift. All the cybertronian femmes sneered at the very thought of even sharing a drink with an ex-con let alone go out on a date with him! Though he had friends like Preceptor who stood up for him, it didn't seem to make any difference as he was meet with strained faux politeness and barely concealed hostility until overtime Drift gave up all hope of ever finding 'the one' and eventually learned to ignore the bitter sting in his lonely spark whenever he watched the other 'bots forge futures for themselves to share their own lovers.

Even during his considerably brief service in N.E.S.T, the human females Drift had encountered were either too shallow and self-absorbed or only used him to get closer to the more popular bots such as Bumblebee, Ironhide, Dino/Mirage or even the hotshot Sideswipe.

However in the midst of all this turmoil between humanity and cybertronians, Drift unexpectedly finds himself losing his spark to the enigmatic human femme Penelope Blythe. A survivor, fighter, and loyal ally— she was extraordinary! From her lovely dark brown eyes and enchanting British accent to her cunning mind as well as her dry sense of humour.

Just thinking about her made his spark beat wildly in his chassis. In a very good way.

But that raises the question? Does he dare risk ruining the beautiful friendship that he'd formed with her by confessing his true feelings to her?

Would such a risk be worth taking at all?

Especially since their final days may be looming ahead?