Eclispe of the heart

(Credits for the new cover design belongs to the fabulous @tfp-fanfiction, so please before you read this chapter, give her a warm hand of applause in appreciation for her generosity and amazingly superb drawing talent.)

"Penelope you must get out of here!"

"No I'm not leaving you here!"

"Go before it's too late!"

"Kill them!"

Bang!

Bolting up in a panic Penelope grasped at her chest as the phantom pains in her scar burned with the likeness of a blazing ember. 'Stop being so weak and pathetic!" She chastised harshly. "You swore you'd avenge your family's murder Penelope, no matter what! No matter what!'

Wiping the small beads of sweat that gathered round her forehead, Penelope glanced over and instantly felt a sense of deja'u when she saw Drift's holo avatar stepping out of his alt mode.

"Are you alright Penelope?" He asked approaching her with a grave look of concern written all over his face.

Shaking her head mirthlessly she answered in a dry tone. "Alright is a pretty loose term which could basically refer to anything. For instance anyone can technically be alright in a physical sense, however when asking about the emotional state of mind well— now that be would an entirely different matter."

Drift nodded sympathetically. "I know what mean."

"Can't sleep either?" She asked.

"Iie! No!" Drift responded taking a seat next to her. "At least not as peacefully as they are." He said nodding towards the slumbering crowd. Cade, Tessa and Shane were snoozing to their heart's content around the campfire while the rest of the autobots were peacefully parked nearby.

"Cade Yeager is handling his first exposure to cybertronians very well considering the circumstances." Observed Drift. "Whereas his daughter Tessa is still weary of us."

"With any luck she'll at least have enough common sense to keep a low profile."

"I highly doubt she'll be foolish enough to do anything to purposely draw any unwanted attention towards herself or her father." Drift pointed out. "Besides of Sensei didn't think those humans were trustworthy then he wouldn't have brought them along."

"True; Uncle Optimus is many things, but he is most certainly not a fool." Admitted Penelope dropping her hand from her chest. "That being said however it's going to be a bit of a challenge to move across Chicago undetected with four humans, three popular car models and a truck with newly refurbished flame designs."

"Do not worry Penelope, we cybertronians have been hiding from prying eyes for many a century before humans were even aware of our existence. We shall simply hide underneath their radar again until we make our move against KSI."

"Easier said than done Drift. Before we had N.E.S.T to rely on, now even if they hadn't been disbanded we wouldn't know who to trust. Not to mention we also have Lockdown literally gunning for Uncle Optimus."

"We have each other!" Replied Drift gently covering his hand over top of Penelope's own hand and tenderly stroking her knuckles with his thumb, marvelling at how even in his holoform the size difference his servos were compared to hers. "Together we can win this battle and avenge our loved ones."

"Together." Repeated Penelope feeling a warm, fuzzy feeling bloom in her stomach at the contact of Drift's gentle fingers.

In the dim firelight Drift's handsome face glowed with a comforting warmth, his brilliant blue eyes sparkling like diamonds, and his touch so tenderly soft. For a moment Penelope forgot how to breath, but for once not out of fear or panic. She felt her heart beating at a more sedate and relaxed pace, her mind slowing slipping into a peaceful state. 'For the life of me, I can't ever recall any man making me feel this way before. Why do I feel like a bubbly little school girl every time I'm near Drift?'

Realizing that she was staring, Penelope shook herself out of her puzzling thoughts. "Sorry Drift, it's just that I- that I've been alone for so long, I'd almost forgotten how good it feels to have somebody by your side. Someone who actually cares and understands."

"I can relate to that." Said Drift. "All those years on the run,  always looking over your shoulder and never knowing what the next day would bring. Makes it difficult to trust people, but Penelope I meant what I said back in the woods with Lockdown. I will not let them hurt you nor will I ever abandon you." Raising her hand to his lips, Drift presses a light kiss to her knuckles. "This much I swear."

Feeling the heat— not from the fireplace—rise cheeks, Penelope ducked her head to to hide the blush blooming on her flustered face as Drift slowly rose to his feet. "Drift?" When the Japanese human stopped and turned to look at her Penelope softly expressed her gratitude. "Thank you."

"Your welcome." Was all he returned with his charming smile. "Do you feel better that you can sleep?"

"Yes;" she replied a shy grin alighting her face. "I think I'll find it easier to sleep now."

"If you need me, I'll be right over there." He said gesturing over to where the rest of the autobots were parked. "Good night Penelope."

"Good night Drift."

Watching his holo avatar walk back towards his alt mode; Penelope laid her head back down on the sandy ground, closed her eyes and a moment later fell back asleep.

Drift's blue eyes gazed at the sleeping beauty. Her auburn hair draped down her shoulders, hands rested underneath her head and her breathing came out slow and even as she laid there in peaceful slumber.

"I will protect you Penelope."