Sanctuary

Penelope didn't know how long she and Drift remained remained locked in each other's arms, but it didn't matter. Because for the first time in five years she truly felt safe here being held in Drift's embrace.

After spending five years constantly running and hiding it was an incredible feeling of relief knowing that she would no longer be alone. Snaking her arms around Drift's midsection Penelope allowed herself to bask in his warm, tender embrace and placing her head over top his chest was further soothed by the sound of his strong, steady heartbeat.

A cool breeze whipped through her wet hair sending chills down her body. Feeling her body shiver Drift pulled away, his brilliant blue eyes widening as he takes in her soaked appearance for the first time since fleeing from Cemetery Wind. "Primus I'm such an ignorant fool for leaving you to stand here in those wet clothes! Come we must find some shelter for the night and get you some fresh clothes before you catch a cold Penelope."

Wiping her eyes Penelope sniffed delicately as she and Drift got into his alt mode. Pulling up his GPS Drift briefly consulted with the road map. "According to the map there's a scrapyard located four miles up ahead. We can lay low for the night then first thing tomorrow morning we'll be off travelling again."

Penelope looked over at the indicated scrapyard on the map. "Clay's Scrapyard? That's perfect! Not only will you be able to blend in with all the cars there, but the place is also completely deserted."

"How can you be so sure about the last part?" Asked Drift. "Usually business owners leave someone reliable to run their shops should they have to leave."

"Because I heard all about it first hand when I was working at the local hair salon in town. Apparently the previous owner had recently passed away, she only had the one employee but he was fired a week ago and as far as I know she hadn't found a replacement before she died. On top of that there hasn't been any word if whether or not her son Denny will come down to run the Scrapyard."

"For our sakes let's hope he doesn't decide to come back until at least another day or so." Said Drift starting up his engine and driving off towards Clay's scrapyard

Turning the heat up inside his alt mode Drift made sure to direct the warm air towards Penelope, an action which earned a sigh of relief and relaxation from the otherwise shivering woman. "Thank you Drift."

"No need to thank me Penelope, after all it would hardly be honourable to leave my heroine to freeze to death would it not?" Quipped Drift his good natured humour slowly returning despite their emotional roller coaster a few minutes ago.

"I'm not just referring to the heat Drift." Penelope explained sheepishly. "I mean thank you for being here. For me." Softly whispering the last part Penelope averted her eyes away from Drift as she felt the heat rising up to her cheeks.

Drift glanced over at her with such surprise written all over his face that he was rendered speechless. Thankfully though before the awkward silence grew unbearable Drift looked up just in time to see that were approaching Clay's Scrapyard. Clearing his throat Drift cautiously pulled up the the front entrance of the scrapyard while at the same time running a perimeter scan in order to make certain that no humans were up and about at this time of night.

"Your sources are correct Penelope." Spoke Drift. "There is no one else here within this vicinity. We can safely lodge here tonight."

Deactivating his hologram Drift popped open his passenger door allowing Penelope to step out while he transformed into bi-ped mode. Then kneeling onto one knee he extended his metal servo towards her. As soon as she had climbed on, Drift gently perched her on top his shoulder and waited till she held fast to his armour plating before placing both his servo on top the wall and swiftly vaulting over to the other side.

Carefully picking his way across old, rundown cars Drift walked over towards the middle of the lot where a lone, big trailer stood hitched near a small housing unit. "Was this particular scrapyard also their home?" Asked Drift gently setting Penelope down on the ground.

"Yep; some work places are built like that." Said Penelope surveying the empty scrapyard. "Although you'd mostly see them designed similar to apartment levels, with the top level being their bedroom and bathroom units while the lower level would be their work place. A bit more convenient for people who don't have to go far to either work or relax. This place was no exception." Spotting a shed next a few feet from the main housing unit, Penelope walked over to it and looked inside. "Good news Drift we've got the right tools needed for your repairs."

"Excellent!" Said Drift. "See if you can find yourself some new clothes and something to eat, I can take care of own repairs from here."

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Asked Penelope looking at Drift with uncertainty feeling his well fare to be her responsibility.

"Hai (Yes)!" Confirmed Drift using his katana to slice the trailer door off. "It's important that you also care for your own health as you have done with mine. Do not worry I'm well enough to repair myself."

Convinced by Drift's assurance Penelope went inside the trailer to rummage around for new clothes which didn't take very long considering the trailer's small size and it's owner messiness. Finding a small bathroom with a shower Penelope stripped off her wet  clothes, hopped into the shower and turned the water on.

Under the streaming cool water Penelope could just vaguely make out the sound of Drift transforming outside followed by a cluttering of metal tools being gathered up. As she washed her hair Penelope reflected over the events that occurred within the past few hours. 'Who could have possibly known that I was alive? I haven't been in contact with anybody from my past for five years, during which I changed my looks every so often and kept a very low profile.' Vigorously scrubbing her body clean she further mused. 'However it happened the only thing that matters now is protecting Drift.'

Shutting the water off Penelope dried herself off with a clean towel before grabbing a light blue shirt and a pair of sweats from the closet. Glancing at the bathroom mirror Penelope stared blankly at her own exhausted reflection. Dark bags hung under her eyes, her dripping wet hair dangling over her shoulders , and her already underweight body appearing even more fragile in the baggy clothes she'd 'borrowed'.

'I really do look like death!' She murmured dryly picking up another towel to wring out the last remaining droplets from her wavy strands. At that moment Penelope felt her energy being rapidly drained from her body as all the emotional turmoil finally caught up to her. Sinking down on the cold hard tile floor Penelope laid her head against the wall as she attempted to blot out Savoy's voice from her head. 'You can say whatever you like Miss Blythe, but it won't change anything. Not for me or you or even the whole world for that matter. Nor will you ever live long enough to convince anyone else otherwise!"

Her sadness then switched to anger which in turn ignited a fiery resolve burning within her soul. "If that's the case Savoy then I'll go down fighting to avenge my family even if it's that last thing I ever do!"