Ch. 80 - Nice to Meet You

Start from the beginning

"You got it!" Nari chirped, putting it in. "Your total comes to 1,030 yen." (~$9.50)

Yoshiho pulled her wallet out, about to open it before Hitomi handed Nari some bills. "There you go."

"Hey, wait... I can pay for myself."

Hitomi glanced at her briefly, giving her a smile. "It's my treat! Since you came all the way here, after all."

"But..."

"Don't worry about it," Hitomi laughed. "I don't mind."

Nari flashed the Shiketsu student a smirk. "You better get used to this, Yoshiho. We're your friends now, and we're gonna be treating you every chance we get!"

Yoshiho felt her cheeks warm slightly, shoving her hands in her pockets and pointedly looking away.

"...If you say so," she mumbled.

...

Yoshiho left to go find a table while Hitomi put her change in her wallet. Once she had put her wallet away, she was about to follow after the auburn-haired girl before Nari suddenly grasped her sleeve.

"Hitomi..."

"Hm?"

"...Yoshiho's a lot cuter in person."

Hitomi's head snapped towards her in surprise, seeing a determined expression on her friend's face. "Huh... You think so?"

Nari nodded in affirmation. "Don't tell her I said that, though. She'll probably get embarrassed and choke on her boba. Like she did that time I complimented her smile."

Hitomi raised a brow and wore a cheeky smile. "If you say so."

Nari slapped her arm at her small giggle.

...

Hitomi returned to their table with two drinks in hand, Nari trailing after her.

"They're done, Yoshiho!" Nari exclaimed, placing her hands on her hips as Hitomi sat down. "Made 'em myself."

Hitomi placed Yoshiho's drink in front of her, the girl staring at it tentatively as Nari plopped into her own seat. Yoshiho stabbed the straw through the seal, picking it up gingerly.

"Uh."

"Come on, try it!" Nari held her hand up to her mouth, whispering. "I already had my break, so I should be working right now."

Yoshiho stared at the looks on their faces, raising a brow.

"Come on, Yoshiho!" Hitomi chanted, shaking her fists.

The Shiketsu student sighed, bringing the straw to her mouth. She sipped her drink slowly, Hitomi and Nari both leaning in. Yoshiho chewed on the boba for a moment before placing her drink back onto the table.

"It's... pretty good."

"Yes!" Hitomi cheered, while Nari sank into her seat and sighed. "Told you so, Nari."

The blonde scoffed, looking away. "Just because you got Yoshiho to like boba doesn't mean it's good. I still stand by my point. Tapioca pearls are nasty and I'll believe that 'till the day I die."

"Excuse me, who's the one working at a boba shop right now?"

Yoshiho's eyes widened in surprise, the girl turning to Nari. "Why are you working at a boba shop if you don't even like boba?"

Nari hummed, her eyes drifting to the ceiling in thought. "I don't like the boba, but I think the other toppings are really good. If you pair certain drinks with certain toppings, you can get really good combinations. That's why I work here. The food is great and it pays well, too."

"Varsteg!!" a voice suddenly called out, making Nari jolt in surprise. The three of them turned to find her boss glaring at her from the counter, her arms crossed. "As much as I like you, I don't pay you to chat with your friends."

Nari hastily got up from the table, giving Hitomi and Yoshiho a sheepish smile. "Duty calls," she laughed, making her way back to the register.

 "Duty calls," she laughed, making her way back to the register

----------

A/N: little side OC cameo :) I won't do much with her since she only exists to have Yoshiho travel and showcase the development of her social skills and opening up to people, but I like her design. She's based off the Portal gun from the Portal series by Valve. Portal 2 is one of my favorite video games ever :D