Ch. 80 - Nice to Meet You

Start from the beginning

Hitomi trailed after her, following her inside as she noted Yoshiho's outfit. She was wearing a leather jacket, with her red shirt partly tucked into the waist of her ripped jeans.

I'm not sure what sort of style I was expecting... but it suits her.

They'd finally stopped in front of the register, the cashier giving them a polite smile.

"Hello! What can I get for you today?"

Yoshiho stared at the menu, looking bewildered. "Uh..."

"Is Nari here?" Hitomi cut in, stepping forward.

"Nari?" The cashier stopped for a moment, their eyes lighting up in recognition. "Oh! She's on break, but..." They glanced at their watch, taking a moment to read it. "It should be just about over. I'll go get her."

The two of them watched as the cashier made their way into the back room and Hitomi turned to Yoshiho. "Are you ready to finally meet Nari?"

Yoshiho scratched her head, her eyebrows furrowing. "Not... exactly. What if her impression of me from texting is completely different from me in person...?"

Hitomi timidly placed a hand on Yoshiho's shoulder, trying to placate the feelings of inadequacy bubbling up in her friend. "Don't worry about that. You've video chatted, so she already knows what you're like. Besides, Nari's a really nice, and I mean really nice person; she wouldn't suddenly shut you out just because you could be different from what she thought you were."

Yoshiho's shoulders relaxed slightly, the girl giving Hitomi a small smile. "...Right."

"Oh look, here she comes!"

Hitomi saw Nari yawn, the blonde's eyes scrunched up as she stretched her arms walking over to them.

She stopped in front of the register, rubbing her eyes as she opened them slightly. "Hey..." Nari's eyes suddenly widened as her gaze shifted to Yoshiho, causing her to jump back in surprise. "What the-?! Holy smokes, what are you doing here???"

Hitomi saw Yoshiho visibly deflate, feeling the need to step in. "A classmate of Yoshiho's brought her here with a Portal quirk," she explained. "I convinced her to come and check out the shop after her provisional license course."

"Oh... is that it?" Nari rubbed her neck sheepishly, giving Yoshiho an embarrassed smile. "Sorry about that!! I was just surprised you came all the way over here, since you're so far away and all..."

Yoshiho nodded. "It's... okay."

"So, Yoshiho," Hitomi started, gesturing towards the blonde. "I'd like you to formally meet my childhood friend, Nari."

Nari held out her hand for a handshake, shooting the auburn-haired girl a grin. "It's nice to finally meet you!!"

Yoshiho stared at it for a moment before taking it, feeling herself smile. "Likewise."

...

Nari had spent a few minutes explaining the menu to Yoshiho, telling her about all the different flavors and the kinds of toppings she could put.

Yoshiho only stared blankly at the menu once she'd finished, dumbfounded at all the choices before she'd settled on a simple milk tea with egg pudding and boba.

"Eh? Are you sure you don't want anything else?" Nari asked her, her finger hovering over the order screen.

"I'm too overwhelmed with everything you just told me, so I'm starting with something simpler first."

"Fine..." Nari pouted, placing the order. "You want the usual, Hitomi?"

The bluenette placed a finger on her chin, contemplating for a moment. "...I think I'll go a little different. Still my usual, just make it passion fruit flavor this time around."