◈ chapter fifteen

chapter fifteen

chapter fifteen

———◈—◇—◈—◇———

POV: JUNGKOOK

Jungkook had had better birthdays.

It was getting late now, gone midnight. You and Taehyung had already gone home. Jungkook figured he knew exactly what you two had gone home to do, but he was too wrapped up in his own self-pity to tease you about it.

At first, he pretended not to know what it was that was irking him so much. After all, it could have been the fact that there was no makguksu for lunch in the office canteen earlier today. Or that his asshole of a boss, Jaewon, had just been given a hefty bonus for 'inventing' the Dream House competition at work, when it had all been his idea in the first place.

Or maybe it was the fact that the woman he had been in love with for years was currently standing a few feet away from him, laughing seductively, and being whisked off her feet by certified heartthrob Kim Seokjin.

Yeah, Jungkook thought, as he watched Taehyung's infernally handsome brother slide a hand flirtatiously down Rae's back as they chatted on the other side of the bar. Could be any of those reasons. Any of them at all. 

Rae shot Jin an equally flirtatious smile back, and Jungkook's heart felt like it might combust.

Okay, fine, he admitted to himself eventually. It was obviously Rae making him feel this way.

It really didn't help that she looked particularly gorgeous tonight, donned in her best outfit for the celebration of their joint birthdays. Her curves were spilled into a deep purple jumpsuit, hugging her figure in all the right places; her hair was natural, with riotous curls gathering at her shoulders and over the swell of her shoulder blades. Her whole body seemed to glimmer under the bar lights, and he wondered for a moment if she had used some kind of special body lotion, before concluding that this was just the way Rae was. 

Glimmering. Radiant. Untouchable.

Jungkook swallowed hard, pushing down a monstrously deep desire. Tearing his eyes away from her had proved difficult all evening, especially when he went red as a firetruck everytime she almost caught him staring.

Jungkook had always been shy. As a child he had been introverted and cut off from others; he had much preferred his own company, head in the clouds or in his new favourite song, rather than socialising. Even now, he kept to himself at work, not all that bothered by promotions or office politics. He loved his job, loved the creativity that came with it, and it was easy to lose himself in his designs. If it wasn't for you and Rae, Jungkook thought he probably wouldn't speak to anyone all day.