◈ chapter twelve

chapter twelve

———◈—◇—◈—◇———

A day later, and you were on fire. 

The Min Design offices were always kept at a cool temperature. You had turned the AC down even further when you came back from lunch, to the grumbling of some of your colleagues, but you didn't care. 

Because today, you were burning.

It wasn't your fault, that the back of your neck prickled and your brow tingled and a strange heat had clenched in your chest and your belly and your-

Woah, shit. Were you actually for real right now?

You took a deep, steadying breath, glancing around the office. It was mid-afternoon, thankfully, around the time that most people had gone for a coffee break, so there were no witnesses to your pathetic display of self-doubt. 

Another breath in, another breath out. You took a long drink of water from your bottle. But the heat did not die.

It was no use. You knew what had caused it. It was him, last night, in that club. Him, and his words.

The memories of the evening washed over you like a blistering tide.

You're the sexiest woman I've ever seen.

Heat pulsed through your veins, and your hand clenched around a pen. It couldn't be true. It couldn't - not when he was so beautiful that you barely believed he was human. Last night, he'd looked so good, his amber eyes boring into you like an irresistible siren, calling you towards him.

I'm so into you.

The warmth was becoming stifling now as you remembered him saying that so earnestly. How much longer could you deny that you felt the same way? That you had never felt like this for anyone else, especially having known him for such a short time? 

And more importantly - how long were you going to pretend that he wasn't the best thing to happen to you since you'd moved out?

I can't get a read on you at all. 

The guilt seeped into your veins at the memory of those words, dampening the heat ever so slightly. Not only at the fact that Taehyung couldn't work you out when he had been so admirably honest; but at the fact that you had run away without telling him the truth - that you wanted him just as much as he wanted you.

And why had you run?

You had no idea.

Perhaps it was because he was so beautiful, and you didn't feel like enough for him. Perhaps it was because you were working together, and you didn't want it to be weird. Or perhaps you had simply been too shocked by his confession to reciprocate it.