◈ chapter five

chapter five

———◈—◇—◈—◇———

On the whole, you thought you had remained fairly calm and collected about the whole falling-off-a-ladder business.

That is, apart from the slapping.

In your defence, the whole thing had taken you by surprise. First you were weightless in the air, that awful dropping sensation settling in your stomach, bracing yourself for pain when you hit the ground - but it never arrived.

Instead, you'd been graced with the arrival of an angel in human form. 

He had caught you bridal style - a position that would be highly embarrassing, if you weren't so focused on the man gazing down at you. He wasn't quite like the man who'd been here the other day, though he was just as handsome; more so, even, in a totally different way. 

His face was slender and angular, with a shock of messy dirt-blonde hair and honey skin that looked smooth to the touch. His lips were pink and parted. A pair of wire-rimmed glasses perched on his nose, sliding down a little, and you wanted very much to reach out and push them up for him - but then you saw his eyes.

Amber. Liquid amber. And gazing right at you.

What the fuck is in the air in this building? you thought, remembering the attractive asshole who had poked his head around the door at the viewing a few days ago. Is there some magic in the walls that draws in these absolute hunks?

Maybe you just really needed to get laid, you mused, as he continued to gaze at you, trapped in the moment.

"Woah," he said, his voice barely a whisper.

Your insides had turned into a puddle. There was a serious risk of you melting on top of this man if he didn't put you down soon.  And that's not even mentioning your brain - he was apparently so sexy that all of your brain receptors had turned themselves off, leaving you with only your basic human instincts.

And so, in a moment of pure panic, before you could even think about what you were doing - you reached out and slapped him. 

"Fuck - ouch!" he staggered, almost falling and bring you down with him - so you tumbled out of his arms anyway, righting yourself on your feet.

"Shit, I'm so sorry!" you exclaimed, a hand going over your mouth as you realised what you had done, gazing at him wide-eyed.

"What did you hit me for?" he asked in bewilderment, and yes, you totally should have answered, but you were a little distracted.