Chapter 23

Solitude in the past never presented a problem for Sanomis Ti'nullaim. Even more so, he often found peace in it. The company on the other hand offered annoyance most of the time. His interests differed from those of others. It was no wonder he spent so much time working. Occasionally even extending it on purpose, as so to avoid the social gatherings or other activities.

But now, Sanomis realized he actually missed all of these activities. He missed the work even more. That became obvious after just two weeks. Being trapped inside like this, had shown him he was never alone before. If for nothing else, his module was always there with him. Keeping him company. Its presence was the first he truly missed. Even more than his own body.

This compartment contained only Sanomis' mind. There was nothing else inside but an endless train of thoughts, rushing at enormous speeds. He could not slow them down, nor even try to stop them. The thoughts were all there was and is in here. Overwhelming him at first, before he could learn to endure this constant noise. Soon he even found a way to utilize them, as he began creating the situations from his imagination.

Sanomis found it to be the only way in which he could keep his mind checked. This also helped him to keep the track of time. At first that seemed like the most important thing. But as the time went by, he felt less and less eager to know how much exactly. And when by his calculations, tenth year passed, he lost that need completely. The time had no meaning, even more so because he was damned to spend eternity there.

This fact alone helped him looking for other means of engagement. pushing him to finally make a revelation regarding his newly acquired magical abilities. What surprised him, and at the same time brought him joy was learning he could use them here. Or so he thought. But what else could be this ability to transcend into the strange looking plane filled with shadows and misty objects. Sanomis soon realized this place stretched across the entire planet. In fact it was the exact replica of the world. He recognized some of the places. The ones he had the pleasure of visiting before.

He continued exploring them, as a force of habit. But soon he began wondering about it. Surely this place had some purpose. Perhaps he could even find a way to interact with it. Or the ghostly figures he saw in there. Sanomis could not know how fortunate he was for being incomplete. Otherwise he'd pay dearly for his inexperience and ignorance. Since only his mind was present, there was no real danger in any soul touching him. Or hurting him. In this state they could not even see him.

In time, Sanomis learned more and more. Often and prolonged exposure to this plane, lying on the other side of reality, created a tight bond. He became a part of it, while honing his skills. Most importantly he started sensing the locations of his missing parts. Some of which he even managed to find much later. The exploration led him all over, and it was the catalyst for strengthening his magic. Soon enough, Sanomis found a way to materialize them, just with the power of his thoughts.

They had no physical effects on the shadow plane, but he wondered with interest could it be possible to use them here in actuality. As if he would even be able to try to do that. He wouldn't even know where he was if he hadn't seen it in the shadow realm. He was at peace with the fact, he'll spend eternity here.

Sanomis was preparing to jump in the shadow plane once again, seeing he recently found himself in that exact field, on which vards captured him. He was eager to finish that journey, even if it meant this way. The imaginary way. If for nothing else, but to visit the village of Vur-Paan. But once again, he was prevented from doing so.

Barely noticeable flow of energy came from somewhere to the left of his position. It was a magical energy. There was no doubt about it. Everyday practice in the realm of shadows taught him how to detect it. This excited him even more, for it was proof it wasn't usable just there. The energy belonged to a person. It was some hundred meters away, but it was nearing his position. Perhaps the person could also sense him. Sanomis thought for a moment, hastily deciding to act. He wasn't going to miss this opportunity. Who knew if one would ever come again.