CHAPTER 9

"Pardon my interruption, may I ask for a moment of your time?" Vagyr Zharn stepped into a lab adjacent to the Sanomis'.

"Certainly." one of the scientists answered promptly, despite not stopping with his work.

He was analyzing one of the exuberant, lush flowers, with large, red petals.

"How can I help you?"

The table in front of him was full of similar looking plants. Which were probably gathered quite recently, considering their still obvious dewy state. Vagyr presumed this was the reason for scientist's overzealous, ceaseless work. And considering the sheer amount of the flowers, he realized the researcher had no luxury to stop.

"Do you know Sanomis Ti'nullaim?" Vagyr glanced across the room, noticing three more scientists.

Focused on analyzing their own plants, it seemed they weren't even aware of him. This was also understandable, because they too had a similar amount of work in front of them. Their trip to the surface of the planet was undoubtedly quite a fruitful one.

"I do." the same scientist answered, cutting away one of the petals "He's geologist. He works in the adjacent lab."

"Well that's the problem, you see. He's not in his lab." Vagyr said "Or in his chambers. He's not even on the ship."

"Ah well, his work is particular, you see. It entails geologists to spend more time outside, than in their labs.'' the scientist answered, as he placed the petal in a small, clear case, halfway filled with smooth, white liquid "If he's not on the ship, he's in one of his caves."

"Except he should've returned some seven days ago." Vagyr said.

"Did you hear that guys!" one of the scientists, on the other side of the room, suddenly exclaimed "We've lost another one down there."

"What did you just say?!" Vagyr turned towards him.

"Please don't mind his imprudence. He's still young. Some would say dumb." the scientist finally set his flower down, as he faced the lieutenant "But if that's the case, don't mind me asking, shouldn't you also be off the ship? Looking for him."

"I intend to be." Vagyr retorted "As soon as I finish checking the ship.

"Certainly." scientist nodded "And let me assure you, we're all wishing for this to end well."

"Certainly." Vagyr returned the courtesy "So long."

He wasn't waiting for the answer. And even if it came, he wouldn't have heard it. He was already a halfway across the corridor, heading towards the central ring. The promenade. From there, Vagyr could reach every part of the ship. In this case, the officer's deck. More precisely, the captain's quarters.

The promenade was always busy. Although far from it being crowded. Yet, it always attracted the ones, who were coming here in search of some deserved rest and relaxation. It was no wonder Vagyr decided to pass right through here. After a few weeks in caves, he counted Sanomis would want to stop by some of these places. But just thirty or so minutes later, the lieutenant figured out this was also a waste of time. No one had seen a geologist in a long time.

Only thing left now was to submit his report to the captain. Vagyr turned left of the promenade, in the direction of the nearest transporting tube. A five meter tall cylinder, with a diameter of two meters, suitable for even the largest specimens among them, the battle vards. Specifically modified soldiers, adjusted, altered and tuned for all and every way of combat.

The tubes were equipped with fixed transporters. And were used for easier and faster movement through the ship. With entrances and exits on almost every deck, they connected all of the important departments. The transporters worked on the principle similar to those of the PTDs. With the difference, they worked only within the limits of the ship. And by using the cylinders as connectors to the selected destination.